• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I think I have an R/C addiction...

Bgunner

Well Known As an Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Went terrorizing the neighbor hood looking for cool places to crawl the TRX-4's.

Found a 93-97 Ranger body but it wont fit my TRX-4 because the High Trails are 336mm long and the body is 313mm but it will fit the normal TRX-4. :cry:

Bgunner

Well Known As an Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Tires came in yesterday and i think they look awesome on the old Ford F150.

Skid plates came but found that the center skid is a little small for the High Trail. I may bend the end so it sits flat and call it good but all other skids fit.

The Brass weights came in and still waiting on the proper grease to install those.

Here is some pics of the bloggers on the 150 Ranger xlt
20240512_182509.jpg
20240512_182522.jpg
20240512_182545.jpg
20240512_183036.jpg

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
All this RC talk I talked myself into an RC jet boat off of Amazon today... $62 (had a 10% coupon) didn't seem too bad, only 5 reviews but I'll have it tomorrow and there's still water in my pond so we'll see this weekend :).

My rustler still has the paddles on it, haven't ran it since I was on the sand in April... that thing is a hoot in the right conditions, kinda want to put the same size motor in a Stampede or get an Emaxx or Erevo but I'm cheap and always too late on finding a cheap used one...

WutUp Clegg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So at the beginning of the month I picked up a new Traxxas Summit for beating on in the woods and hill area's that I live in. View attachment 110050
Then that pesky upgrade itch kicked in and I installed a few minor upgrades:

Shock socks to help keep the dust and dirt out of the shock seals:
View attachment 110051

I also put in the rear chassis brace to help stiffen it a little:
View attachment 110052

While stiffening up the chassis is all well and good but what protects it? Well... Skid plates!
View attachment 110053

I'm not willing to pay $120 for the aluminum center skid plate yet but it is on the list.

Had to do a little tweaking on the stainless steel front and rear skid plates to eliminate the gaps that became grass catchers but nothing a set of plyers couldn't handle.
I don't like servos that stick out the bottom and the only thing protecting them was a flexible plastic guard.

So I needed to fix that concern:
View attachment 110054
Some aluminum servo guards were my go to for this one.

Next came the need for the GF to have one so we can run them out in the yard together with the dog. So I got her a Arrma Granite that you can see one of the body's for it in the next Pic. Well the white, red and orange body was just an eye sore so she ordered a blue body for it and is why the other body is in a bag on its box.

Then came the need for a GO box. In my early 20's I had a Plano tackle box that had a deep top compartment, 3 drawers and the bottom one was deep enough to allow me to keep the charger in it with battery's and soldering iron and a few other things in it and I looked high and low for another one and found one of FB market place but in New Jersey. I contacted the guy and offered to pay double asking cost and all expenses for shipping and he blew me off So I spent days running around looking at tackle boxes and tool boxes. Finally one day I said enough is enough and put the transmitter in my hoody's pouch and I set off looking for the perfect for me box. On my second trip to Harbor Freight my GF noticed this wood box with drawers and it locked. I'm still wondering why there is a mirror in the top but, Oh well. This box was 1lb. lighter than the Yukon tool box I was looking at and could fit more in it so... It came home with me. I also grabbed some tools that would fit in the box like a small multimeter, angle finder for setting camber, a rechargeable Pen flash light to stick in my mouth to see what I'm working on, a magnetic 4" tray, a small telescoping magnet to grab them small screws in tight places and a few other odds and ends. Check out this box:
View attachment 110055
View attachment 110057
View attachment 110058
View attachment 110059
View attachment 110060
View attachment 110061View attachment 110062
View attachment 110063
View attachment 110064

Now this wasn't enough I needed a flat out race speed demon to keep up with my friend with there gas powered cars So a Maxx Slash followed me home and I made the mistake of feeding it 2x 3 cell Lipo battery's. Now its here for good. This thing is impressive, I've yet to to hit top speed with it but it should do 60+mph when I have the room to get it up to that speed.
View attachment 110065
View attachment 110066View attachment 110067
View attachment 110068
View attachment 110069

OK now I needed to try and drive this thing so I charged up the battery's and went out to play in the driveway and yard. All went well for about half a battery pack and as I was coming in to the driveway the pinion gear set screw came loose. Mind you this is a fresh out of the box truck. Well I had no breaks and ended up clipping the corner of the dumpster. Here's the damage report:

1x broken front skid plate. 2 new sets have already been shipped. Currently held together with ca+ glue.View attachment 110071\

Bent shock shaft. I thought all was good after gluing the skid plate but after cycling the suspension a few times and putting the body on I noticed the right front corner was lower than the left so after inspection here is the photographic evidence of why that side was sitting low.
View attachment 110072View attachment 110074 View attachment 110073

Now I'm positive that the spring should push that shock out with no weight on it but not so much with a bent shaft. Ordered up 4 shocks to change the color of them to green as I'll do green on the chassis and blue body, for now, but at $129 for a new unpainted body I'll hold off for a while on that one.

As you can see in the next set of pictures the body took a hard hit and it didn't help that I hit the dumpster right on the corner of it. There is a raised eye brow on the right side of the hood where the body got dented in. There is spot on the front where a crack is going to start because the body is gouged both on the inside and outside.
View attachment 110075View attachment 110076View attachment 110077
View attachment 110080

SO now I am packing up and heading to the GF because like a brain dead old fart I forgot to change the shipping address for my shock order and 2 of them will be delivered to her house tomorrow instead of mine.

The go box and trucks are going with me so I can play while waiting on my new shocks so I can play with the new beast. The Maxx is down for now but I still have the Summit to beat on for a while. I was able to bind the 2 trucks to the same radio transmitter so that is one less thing to haul around.

Nice collection. RC is a virus. I'm sitting on 9 units, myself, which is nothing compared to some of my friends.

Bgunner

Well Known As an Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Nice collection. RC is a virus. I'm sitting on 9 units, myself, which is nothing compared to some of my friends.
I've had a few over the years but my favorite ones were the Losi XXX and Losi XXXT. I hurt my back at work one day and was laying around the house and my wife at the time picked me up the XXX buggy to put together and keep my mind occupied. That lasted a day and a half before it was finished so she went down and got me the XXXT that took a full 2 days to put together. I used to go down to the local track and race every Friday night and hit practice nights on Wednesdays. That was till my ex-wife took all of my R/C stuff and sold it on me one day while I was at work. After that I didn't bother to much with it till recently again. No wife to sell my stuff on me now so I feel my collection is safe for now.

It still amazes me how much the tech has changed from the late 90's early '00's till now. Cars now have gyro's in them. Back then the only things that had gyro's were the helicopters and then it was a add on and didn't come with the radio system. First thing I do is turn that off as it hurts me more than helps due to my experience with racing. The light kits are really interesting I have found. Not good for racing but for the crawlers they are pretty realistic. The realism of the crawler axles gets me too. Spider gears, pinions, ring gears, drive shafts to the axles, gear reduction portals. They really are quite impressive with the detail, function and usability.

Last edited:

WutUp Clegg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've had a few over the years but my favorite ones were the Losi XXX and Losi XXXT. I hurt my back at work one day and was laying around the house and my wife at the time picked me up the XXX buggy to put together and keep my mind occupied. That lasted a day and a half before it was finished so she went down and got me the XXXT that took a full 2 days to put together. I used to go down to the local track and race every Friday night and hit practice nights on Wednesdays. That was till my ex-wife took all of my R/C stuff and sold it on me one day while I was at work. After that I didn't bother to much with it till recently again. No wife to sell my stuff on me now so I feel my collection is safe for now.

It still amazes me how much the tech has changed from the late 90's early '00's till now. Cars now have gyro's in them. Back then the only things that had gyro's were the helicopters and then it was a add on and didn't come with the radio system. First thing I do is turn that off as it hurts me more than helps due to my experience with racing. The light kits are really interesting I have found. Not good for racing but for the crawlers they are pretty realistic. The realism of the crawler axles gets me too. Spider gears, pinions, ring gears, drive shafts to the axles, gear reduction portals. They really are quite impressive with the detail, function and usability.

I still have XXXT. I haven't driven it in a very long time. I mostly play with my newer cars.

They have come a million miles since the XXXT was released. Now there's LiPo batteries, mid-mounted motors, digital controllers to eliminate having to have difference radio crystals, and brushless motors. I actually do videos on testing the motors.

Bgunner

Well Known As an Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Finally got around to installing the brass weights on the axles. I also added the skid plates. I had to flatten out one end of the center to make it fit the High Trail chassis. I also added in some Velcro to the clipless mounts to stop the body from rattling and echoing all the vibrations.

20240522_204543.jpg
20240522_204552.jpg
20240522_204556.jpg
20240522_221814.jpg
20240522_221818.jpg
20240522_221825.jpg
20240522_221836.jpg
20240522_221841.jpg
20240522_235121.jpg
20240523_055132.jpg
20240523_055138.jpg
20240523_055147.jpg
20240523_055153.jpg

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Anyone want to buy a 4wd 10th scale buggy? Lol. I got it in trade for a crawler a couple weeks ago and it's not really my thing. If I had the time to race it would be a different story.

20240414_163416.jpg

Will need a TX.. Team durango bx410r, tekin sensored 17.5 brushless setup, 2 4500mah 2s lipo packs, spektrum rx.. the guy built it to race but it just ended up just collecting dust for a few years. brand new besides myself running one charge through it. Shipped to the lower 48 for 300 dollarydoos!

WutUp Clegg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Finally got around to installing the brass weights on the axles. I also added the skid plates. I had to flatten out one end of the center to make it fit the High Trail chassis. I also added in some Velcro to the clipless mounts to stop the body from rattling and echoing all the vibrations.

View attachment 111292View attachment 111293View attachment 111294View attachment 111295View attachment 111296View attachment 111297View attachment 111298View attachment 111299View attachment 111300View attachment 111305View attachment 111306View attachment 111307View attachment 111308

That's why I'm afraid to get a crawler. I know I would dump a crap ton of money into fixing it up.

WutUp Clegg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone want to buy a 4wd 10th scale buggy? Lol. I got it in trade for a crawler a couple weeks ago and it's not really my thing. If I had the time to race it would be a different story.

View attachment 111310

Will need a TX.. Team durango bx410r, tekin sensored 17.5 brushless setup, 2 4500mah 2s lipo packs, spektrum rx.. the guy built it to race but it just ended up just collecting dust for a few years. brand new besides myself running one charge through it. Shipped to the lower 48 for 300 dollarydoos!

Yes I do, but this Ranger is sucking up all my cash. Show that on RCTech.net. You'll get it sold pretty fast. That is a pretty old buggy, but it's in pretty good shape. You might have to drop the price a tad, but who knows...?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used to fly planes and choppas. But I finally wised up and quit. Tired of building them, then re-kitting them, and having to rebuild them again. LOL

Get to the choppa!!

WutUp Clegg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I used to fly planes and choppas. But I finally wised up and quit. Tired of building them, then re-kitting them, and having to rebuild them again. LOL

Get to the choppa!!

I tried planes and choppas. That lasted about 30 seconds each. Got them in the air and they came right back down... really hard!

Bgunner

Well Known As an Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo

View attachment 111310

Sadly our local track closed down years ago so the closest track is in Troy N.Y.. While just a town over from the GF they only run open wheel sprint cars there and not off road racing. I do have plans on going to that track to check it out and talk to the people there to find a local-ish off road track to run the Maxx Slash on.

Nice buggy though. They are a blast if you have a local track or friend/s with a backyard track otherwise I personally found racers have limited use.

WutUp Clegg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sadly our local track closed down years ago so the closest track is in Troy N.Y.. While just a town over from the GF they only run open wheel sprint cars there and not off road racing. I do have plans on going to that track to check it out and talk to the people there to find a local-ish off road track to run the Maxx Slash on.

Nice buggy though. They are a blast if you have a local track or friend/s with a backyard track otherwise I personally found racers have limited use.
I'm a racer, and it does suck. Over a year ago, out last track closed it's doors. Last month, a new one opened up, but I haven't been there yet.

I have a Slash. It's pretty fun for bashing around. I have a couple boats, but every time I take them out, I break the props.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I tried planes and choppas. That lasted about 30 seconds each. Got them in the air and they came right back down... really hard!
What finally did it for me. I used to fly the choppa in the cul-de-sac in front of my pad. Never thought nothing of it. Then one day, while it was chopping about 30 feet up, one of the servos in the rotor collective gave up the ghost. Thing nose dived straight into the windshield of my 98 Ranger and shattered it something fierce. Kids used to hang around and watch me. Damn lucky it didn't hit one of them. That's it, I QUIT!!

I've done a little bit of everything, including racing scale like Indy cars, boats, including a seven foot long Apache deep vee with three Zenoah engines (Modified liquid cooled chain saw motors) and three stern drives. Done scale boats, including PT boats, destroyers and even two submarines, including a George Washington class ballistic missile submarine. And a WWII German Type 23 submarine. Some of those I wish I had kept. Always wanted to do a large battleship with four motors. Going to retire in the next six months to a year. Will have plenty of time to do exactly that. Likely will be an Iowa class WWII battleship. In the 10 foot range.

Got an old folder full of hard copy pics. I'm 63 now, the pics go back to when I was still in high school. History. The Good Old Days.

Actually built and flew a control-line Convair B-36 Thundering Peacemaker (Magnesium Overcast) in the 80's.

Y'all know I have a white Ford LIGHTNING. For some years I had a Tamiya four wheel drive white Ford Lighting. A minature of my full size one. Got lost in the move from commiefornia to Oklahoma in 2002.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals