• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I just bought an '04 XLT - will a chrome grille off a '10 fit?

paosgravity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Found a picture of a '10 that "has all of the options" (from 2010 post) - I'm in love with the grille - how do I determine if it will fit my '04?

Hang in here with me guys, I've been out of mini trucking for about 20 years - just bought an '04 yesterday, ready to jump back in.

First pic is desired, second pic is what I came home with.....3rd picture is my '91 vert from when I was a kid.

Attachments

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The parts catalogs list 06-11 as interchangeable so apparently the 04-05 are a little different.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Isn't 06 when they went to the Power Bulge on the hood? The center hump is higher than earlier years, therefore the grill has to match that. Also I think the dip in the center of the bumper is deeper on the latter years, as compared to the earlier ones.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not aware of any meaningful difference between grilles or header panels after 2004. I'd put money on the '10 grille fitting the '04 without any issues.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Isn't 06 when they went to the Power Bulge on the hood? The center hump is higher than earlier years, therefore the grill has to match that. Also I think the dip in the center of the bumper is deeper on the latter years, as compared to the earlier ones.
The "Power Dome" hood came on 01-03 Edge models. It was composite, had a flat leading edge where it met the top of the grille, and about a 1.5" bulge from front to rear:

All 2004+ Rangers got a different header panel, taller grille and they gave all Rangers a similar raised hood, but it was metal instead of composite, the leading edge was raised in the middle to make room for the taller grille, and the bulge was less pronounced, tapering off as it moved toward the back (probably easier to stamp). It's a very similar look to the Power Dome/Edge hood, but the details are a little softer/less pronounced:

Front bumpers are the same/interchangeable for all 01+ Rangers

paosgravity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all of the info. guys - I may call the dealer today and find out for sure.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Thanks for all of the info. guys - I may call the dealer today and find out for sure.
The dealer will tell you they're different part numbers, the system isn't set up yo tell you what else will fit. Maybe someone here has done the swap and would know. I personally like the 04-05 grill best.

paosgravity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
The dealer will tell you they're different part numbers, the system isn't set up yo tell you what else will fit. Maybe someone here has done the swap and would know. I personally like the 04-05 grill best.
That makes sense, appreciate it.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That dip in the center of the bumper is way deeper than the one on my 98. But I wonder, if one changed the bumper and hood, could one get away with that grill? And will bumpers from latter years fit older trucks like my 98? Not that I intend doing that, I actually found a 98 - 00 bumper set that has the lower driving lights. Going to order it soon, along with a new grill. The existing grill has some cracks in it. Mine doesn't have "Fog" lights now, but I'll wire them myself using a toggle switch and an inline fuse.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals