• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

i-beams to a-arms ???

Broncoman1532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 95 ranger, its bagged and i hate the ibeams, anyone done a swap. should i grap the a-arms off a 98+ ranger or crown vic. just seein if anyone has done it and how hard it would be.:icon_welder:

i have alsso been wanting to put a t-top roof on my ranger. just looking for something to stand out

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know of anyone that has installed a-arms on an I-beam frame. I'm sure it's been done, I just don't know about it. It also wouldn't be a simple swap, you would have to graft that whole section of the 98+ Ranger frame into the 95's frame.

Since you have an Extended cab the much easier thing to do would be just swap the whole frame. The extended cab body and frame have the same dimensions/mounting points.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Back when I first started on this website 10+ years ago I remember rumblings about someone putting a Mustang II front suspsension in their Ranger.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 95 ranger, its bagged and i hate the ibeams, anyone done a swap. should i grap the a-arms off a 98+ ranger or crown vic. just seein if anyone has done it and how hard it would be.:icon_welder:

i have alsso been wanting to put a t-top roof on my ranger. just looking for something to stand out

Haha, T-Top would be different but I'll still shout "Redneck!" I don't know much about bagging a Ranger so I'm curious, why do you hate the I-beams?

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is nothing wrong with i-beams you just have to understand them(10% rule). It would be a huge undertaking and a frame swap would be better. Or just buy a newer ranger with a-arms.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'll have to wait til he posts why he dislikes them. I don't know why he wants to swap them. If it's a bagged ranger, the suspension he has is garbage anyways. What difference do A arms make? Maybe the aftermarket for lowering is better/cheaper?

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Might be easier/cheaper to find lowering kits for a-arms.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
What difference do A arms make? Maybe the aftermarket for lowering is better/cheaper?
Might be easier/cheaper to find lowering kits for a-arms.

I guess thats the only conclusion we can come up with. Oh well. Still a dumb idea. Why expensively change out 2wd for MORE 2wd to save money on parts.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Its hard to understand unless you have owned a extremely lowered ranger. Camber is hard to correct, the steering linkage contacts the frame, and pretty soon you can't go any lower cause of the radius arms are up against the frame...

SVT

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I've heard of people using a Nissan Pathfinder 2wd suspension to replace the TIB for bagging... idk, I'd never do it... I'd sas it or d35 ttb it and lift it!

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Its hard to understand unless you have owned a extremely lowered ranger. Camber is hard to correct, the steering linkage contacts the frame, and pretty soon you can't go any lower cause of the radius arms are up against the frame...

SVT

Thank you. I'm impatient and the OP was bothering me by remaining silent. Don't he know this forum is more important than other daily activities?

Interesting...still wouldn't bag a ranger though. Yeesh.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I almost bagged my 96 lowrider ranger (frame was only 1.5" off the ground static suspension) but sine then have changed directions, it will get sas'd and SVT is getting bagged :shok:

SVT

Broncoman1532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i dont like how the tire bow in so bad. the mountiong point for the radius arms keeps my truck up higher in the front. the contact on the frame front the tie rods realy sucks, i want to notch the frame for that reason but was thinking of the a-arm swap. the mustang 2 swap might be a good idea, i like the newer crown vic front sus.

a t-top would be redneck as hell but when have you seen one on a truck. i would like a cusstom roof/top. tons of people have the cloth sun roof. i would like something you can easaliy remove and put back on. (miata hard top lol)

as for the front end swap like suvs mainly the newer lincoln aviator or mkx. an older jeep grand cherokee. really want to keep it FOMOCO:thefinger: i do like the newer mustang swap

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals