• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hydraulic clutch

InTheStix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know how much travel is supposed to be in the release assembly of the clutch in a 91 Ranger-(2.3L M50d trans)? I bought a new master cylinder and new line and put these in today.....I have bled the system according to the Haynes manual(didn't work!).....I have also bled the system a couple of ways that people here have said to...still didn't work.Looking through the inspection hole in the trans I can see the release assembly is moving approximately 1/2"-my clutch will not release....HELP!!!!!!

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you bleed the Master Cylinder unbolted from the truck? You cannot bleed these MCs while installed on the truck. Here's what I did:

With the MC unbolted but still connected to the hydraulic system, with your hand continually push the MC rod until you physically can't anymore. Obviously, check the reservoir and keep it filled up. Then, twist/shake it until you see no more bubbles appearing in the MC reservoir.

This should solve your issue.

InTheStix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Thanx for the quick reply 4x4RangerGuy-I'll try doing it that way tomorrow-BTW,should there be fluid coming out of the top of the MC?-like where the pushrod goes in?-this is a new MC-I replaced the original because it did this too.....do I have a defective MC?...it's a professional grade Raybestos unit.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
You cannot bleed these MCs while installed on the truck.
I did...
I take a large 2oz syringe and pull the line off the reservoir and hook it to the syringe, I fill it with fluid, open the bleeder and pump it through, worked first time...

InTheStix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
'FREAKIN Hydraulic clutch

Tried bleeding my clutch again today.....still no luck-the damn new master cylinder is leaking fluid up through the top-just like my old one did!I called the guys at Rockauto and they will ship me a new one tomorrow-evidently this has happened before.Does anyone know how much travel the release assembly is supposed to have?Some has to know this-you guys are the best!!!I'm trying to determine if my slave cylinder is bad-don't wanna pull the trans if I don't have to!My trans shifted and released just fine when I put my truck in the garage almost a year ago to do a complete teardown and rebuild.I don't see how the slave went bad just sitting in the garage!

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It should move at least a good 1" to 1&1/4". That's about how much mine moves. Your master cylinder "IS" bad.

Let us know how it goes!

Allen

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To be clear, when you bleed the unbolted, but still hydraulically hooked up clutch master, the reason you unbolted it is so you can tip it on an angle while bleeding so the part that was highest when mounted on the firewall (and had the trapped air) can let fluid run into it. Once I did this the pedal got rock hard after fooling around bleeding it conventionally all day.

InTheStix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Thanx Hardwareman! That's the info I was looking for-mine only moved about a 1/2"-I didn't think that was enough movement to release the clutch disc-should I bench bleed the new MC before installing it?-Rockauto sent another one out today,should be here on Thursday....Here I go again!!!! Also,I didn't lube the pilot bearing or input shaft splines on my trans when I put my engine back in-should I have? The pilot bearing is supposed to be permanently factory lubed....sorry about all the ?'s but I haven't put a clutch in a vehicle for probably 30 yrs....I've got CRS (can't remember shit)!

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You don't need to lube the splines but I would put a dab of grease on the pilot bearing just to ease the rotation of the input shaft.

I never bench bleed my master cylinder and it's always worked fine for me in my Ranger. Others say that it's neccessary however, I've just never had to do it.

This is how I bleed mine:
1. Run a rubber hose that fits tightly onto the bleeder screw of the slave cylinder up to the reservoir. Use duct tape or whatever other method you choose to ensure the hose stays in the reservoir of fluid.
2. Be sure your reservoir does not run dry at all costs!
3. Have an assistant pump the pedal while you are under the truck with the bleeder screw "OPEN". At first, pump about 10 times and have the assistant hold the pedal down while you tighten the bleeder. Work up to about 25-30 pumps, while the bleeder is open, and then while the pedal is depressed tighten the bleeder.
4. After doing this process a few times you should be compltely bled.

This has always worked for me. I've tried bench bleeding. I've tried pumping the pedal and holding it down, then opening and closing the bleeder. Nothing has worked for me as good as this method has. This also works on brakes too!

Allen

InTheStix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Thanx again Hardwareman! I'll try doing it this way since all other attempts have failed-It's gonna be hard to get a hose on the bleeder since it doesn't have a nipple on it-it's made like a long hex head bolt with a hole in the end of it.I'll try a large ID vacuum tubing after my replacement for the defective MC comes in.Hope this fixes my little Ford....it's not nearly as thirsty as my current DD(lifted S10 4x4 4.3L w/31's).Gas here is $3.39/gal for the cheap crap-my S10 don't like it-have to run mid grade unless I wanna listen to valve rattle!($3.49/gal.)

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's the way all bleeders are designed I think.

I had to run down to my local AutoZone and pickup a three foot length of vaccum hose in order to do mine, and that's probably what you're going to have to do too.

It's a very small diameter vaccum hose that tightly stretches over the bleeder screw, then you use the open end of an 8mm on the screw to open and close it. Let me know if you need anymore help. These clutches are nightmares for some. I guess I've just done it too many times......lol.

Allen

InTheStix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Thanx again-My MC is scheduled for delivery Thursday-I'll try doing it this way-I've been trying to get this thing working for 2-3 hrs after work every evening for the past 2 wks.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No problem.

That's a bummer! You'll get it eventually though. That's how it was the first time I changed the clutch in my Ranger too............lol.

I think you have to acquire a certain feel for these or something. Let me know how it goes for you. Thanks.

Allen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals