• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To: Train horn install

Thumper113

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
would that lil 2 gal compressor be enough to air up? would being inside a tool box hinder the compressor in any way as long as you dont throw stuff on top of it?
It's not really the size of the tank on a vehicle mounted 12v compressor. Mine airs up my first 36" Irok from 8-10 psi to 30 psi in less than a minute (because of the air in the tank). The other 3 usually take a rate of 4.5 minutes each.

I have mine in the tool box as well. When I'm airing up the tires, the lid is left open so the compressor doesn't overheat.

I have a question about those air horns. Are they legal? They don't give a specific decibal limit in Iowa but they do say...

No offense, but if somebody comes up behind me and gives that thing a blast, I'm gonna put my rear bumper to use.

I guess if you're using them off road or at shows or something....
They're not legal for use on a motor vehicle in my state. But then neither is driving 1 mph or more over the speed limit.

I don't use it just for hell of it in traffic, I use it for instances where using the factory horn would apply. If they pull out in front me because they weren't paying attention or changing lanes in front of me for the same reason..................I'm gonna make damn sure they hear me.

If I was behind you gave you a blast with it, it'd be because you either didn't see me or you weren't paying attention to traffic when you pulled out when you shouldn't have or changed into my lane in an unsafe manner ie, cut me off & made me slam my brakes on.

Oh korey, one thing I forgot to mention, I installed an "ON-OFF-ON" switch so that I can use either my factory horn or the train horns with horn pad on the steering wheel.

Last edited:

korey89

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
They're not legal for use on a motor vehicle in my state. But then neither is driving 1 mph or more over the speed limit.

I don't use it just for hell of it in traffic, I use it for instances where using the factory horn would apply. If they pull out in front me because they weren't paying attention or changing lanes in front of me for the same reason..................I'm gonna make damn sure they hear me.

If I was behind you gave you a blast with it, it'd be because you either didn't see me or you weren't paying attention to traffic when you pulled out when you shouldn't have or changed into my lane in an unsafe manner ie, cut me off & made me slam my brakes on.

Oh korey, one thing I forgot to mention, I installed an "ON-OFF-ON" switch so that I can use either my factory horn or the train horns with horn pad on the steering wheel.

The way I look at it is if your gonna drive around and scare people your gonna get a ticket. I really really doubt that if your driving with a cop next to you and someone pulls out if front of you or cuts you off and you give the horns a quick blast that hes gonna give you a ticket. And yes, I only use them if someone pulls out if front of me, cuts me off, etc...

Mine is wired to the horn pad on the steering wheel but the on/off switch that I have only gives me either trian horns+stock horns or stock horns alone. I already had those two switches and didn't mind it that way so thats how I wired mine. A 3 way switch like yours would be cool tho.

Stumpy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice install! I really wish the hornblasters sets were in my budget, I really like the tone of those.

Just another thought of where you could mount them out of the way... I've got mine where the ac compressor used to mount.
Not a great pic, but you get the idea.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You need to put a diode across the relay coil (cathode on 86, anode on 85) to clamp the reverse Di/Dt voltage.

lilrebelranger67

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
good install. what exactly was the product number for that kit? everytime i go to your link it goes to some stop sign instead of the product. thanks for the info

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
why not just go to a JY and find a horn off an old semi?
we had one and a 5 gal tank we used to take to hockey games...and on the odd trip around town hah.

lilrebelranger67

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
why not just go to a JY and find a horn off an old semi?
we had one and a 5 gal tank we used to take to hockey games...and on the odd trip around town hah.
is this professional or kids hockey? cause if we showed up to one of my games with that we would get kicked out as soon as we walked in

cajunman87

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Instead of putting the compressor in a tool box in the bed. I mounted mine upside down under my bed in front of the fender on the driver side, and my tank in the space between the bed and the side of the truck in front of the fender on the passenger side. I got my kit from www.trainhornkits.com

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I got my compressor and horns from a local salvage yard, the compressor is mounted on top of the motor, the tank is between the framerails and the horn is on the light bar

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
could you use an old AC compressor?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Use a nitorgen bottle and get a ship's horn--the kind that shakes a whole city with a low earthquake-like bellow.

chillmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
eh train horns just not for me im happy with my dixe horn ( it came with a relay but i couldnt get it to work with it so i hard wired it with a switch in my cab

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals