• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to: Install a roll on bedliner

korey89

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A _____ VS. ______ ARGUMENT OR COMMENT ON HOW YOURS IS SUPERIOR, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO DO THAT GO START ANOTHER THREAD.

Here is how I did my DIY roll on bedliner,

The first thing you are going to need is a nice clean empty bed, clean as in take a pressure washer to it and get out all of the dirt and whatever else is in there.

Now what you are going to need to do is to remove the metal tie down points and drain plugs from the bed. I forgot about the two little rubber seal pieces so they are not pictured here, but they can be seen in some of the other photos still attached. Those will also need to be removed.

The bedliner is not going to stick to the bed without a little prep. We are going to need to rough up the surface a little bit to give it something to grab to. I used 60 grit sandpaper for this, it was the lowest grit I could find locally.

As you can see it is pretty rough, it should do the job nicely.

Now the fun part! Sand your entire bed, anywhere that you plan on having bedliner will need to be sanded. If you skimp on this step plan on having crappy results.

After everything is sanded your going to need to blow out the dust, this can be done with an air compressor or even a landscaping blower. Once that is done you need to wipe it all down with Xylene. Only use Xylene, don't use Lacquer Thinner or Acetone.

After you wipe it with Xylene you will notice the bed has a matte look to it. Make sure you wipe everywhere that is going to get bedliner. Xylene is some pretty nasty stuff, so wear chemical resistant gloves and do this in a well ventilated area.

Now we are going to need to start masking, I strongly recommend buying a roll of this painters paper and using it like I did. If I had not used it I would have gotten bedliner on my paint.

Continue masking, making sure it is all stuck very well and you have nice straight lines. At this point you may notice that I chose to leave my tailgate attached. Doing this will make masking a little harder but overall not too bad.

Now we are ready to start putting bedliner down. Do not be cheap and use a stick to mix it, pick up one of the mixers that attaches to a power drill and use it to mix the bedliner. There is tons of little granules and textured pieces at the bottom of the can, your going to need to mix it for a few minutes until they are evenly distributed and floating in the can.

For the application you are going to need a paintbrush and a roller handle. The bedliner comes with some special paint roller covers that allow for a nice texture, only use these.

Here you can see the texture of the roller covers that are included with the kit.

Now get the first coat down. Don't worry about putting it on thick, your second coat will take care of that. Use the brush to get corners and little spaces you can't get with the roller. Don't brush with it side to side, you need to just dab it up and down.

Many people get scared after the first coat since you will see plenty of paint though the bedliner. Relax, this will go away after the second coat.

People also get scared after seeing the texture, it is similar to the sandpaper we just used to prep the bed. Also relax, this will go away after coat number two.

After that dries for a hour or a little more depending on the temperature/humidity where you are doing it it will be time for coat number two. You can really see things are starting to look better now, a nice consistent texture for the most part and less sandpaper looking texture.

Now you need to pull off all of the masking you did. Don't let the bedliner cure before doing this, you will need to remove it shortly after doing the second coat for best results.

Here is how it looks after pulling off the masking.

Texture looks very good, a lot better then after the first coat.

Clean, solid lines like this can be achieved with proper masking.

Here is how it looks all put back together and after drying in the sun for a few days and after putting bedrail caps on. So far I am very happy I did this to my bed and glad I ditched the plastic drop in that was in the truck before.

For this tutorial I used one gallon of Durabak-18. Durabak-18 has a UV coating already mixed into it that will resist fading, this costs a little more than the regular Durabak but I feel it is worth it. More information as well as ordering information can be found at http://www.durabakcompany.com/.

I will have a video up soon showing how the stuff in your bed won't slide around like it does with stock plastic bedliners, as well as a few pictures comparing texture of my bedliner with that of a spray in bedliner.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
good tech piece. you can also use scotch bright and comet to scuff up the bed.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Great write-up. I'm planning on doing my '84 trash-hauler one of these days; this is a good tutorial. Thanks!

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
"Only use Xylene, don't use Lacquer Thinner or Acetone."
question why use only the Xylene, i used lacquer thinner when i paint the whole body of my truck, and had zero proplems with paint peeling or flaking

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Keep it off your Hootus!

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
anyone have any thoughts about doing the ENTIRE truck with this stuff?

valleyvinyl84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 / 1994
Make / Model
Ford / Chevy
Engine Size
2.0 / 350 CID
Transmission
Manual
Trust me don't. I did my old B2 with Herculiner (similar product) and hot days with your arm out the window make your limb itch like crazy.

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmm okay.

i need to find something to paint this beast with, tan just isnt doing it for me lol

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
how durable is this stuff???
can i take a cinderblock and grind it back and fourth without scratching the liner completly out??

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
How's that video coming?

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had my old CJ-7 crawler done with a spray on when they first started doing it locally. One of the guys was a good customer of ours and was looking for a guinea pig. After he laughed at my joke about the waitress at the Italian restaurant he agreed to do my whole Jeep. I loved the fact that any dent would go away with a hit form the back with a hammer. Just one hit.

Last edited:

korey89

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How's that video coming?
The weather has given us some problems, but it is looking good for tomorrow so I will have it done tomorrow. I will edit the thread to add it as well as send you a PM. :icon_cheers:

korey89

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GExhqr1ZZgs

Spray on will remain unnamed, but it is a professional high dollar spray on. This was all at 20mph with 10lbs of weight in the bucket, the first two have a different bucket since it was a different day but all the stuff inside the bucket is the same. Just showing how skid resistant Durabak also is compared to others.

mud_bogger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
NICE!!!

Just curious as to how much you had left over? As in, was there enough to do the top and outside edge of the bedrails??

korey89

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
NICE!!!

Just curious as to how much you had left over? As in, was there enough to do the top and outside edge of the bedrails??
Yeah, there was enough to do that after I did the bed. I did my 2nd coat pretty much as thick as I could too. Just make sure you save a little so if you ever need to make a touch up somewhere you can.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals