• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How often to replace U-joints?

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
How often do y'all replace U-joints in your axle-shafts and drive-shafts? If ever? Is that a regular maintenance item, or done only (if and) when they seize? How do you know when they're going kaput?

By luck, I discovered the U-joint on my LF axle-shaft did seize. Are the others destined to follow? Or not?

When replacing, do you recommend U-joints having grease nipple, or not?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I only do them if they are bad for the driveshafts. HOWEVER, if you are talking about for the front end, I'd replace those if they were bad, or if I was torn into it a ways.

Just my

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
If you grab the driveshaft/axle shaft and the joint has play in it, they are due for replacement. Also, look for rust around the area where the cap meets the joint.
Normally they will start making noise before they get to that point.

They don't really have a "life span". It really depends on how you drive and the climate.

Some people will tell you greaseable is better, others will say non greaseable is better.
The greaseable joints will wear faster if you don't keep fresh grease in the joint. I grease mine every time I change my oil. (7000 miles).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals