• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How bad is a floor pan replacement?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I got bit by rust again. I called myself checking out my new project truck when I went and checked it out. Main thing I was concerned with was rust and wiring in the cab, since that was the main bits I was planning to use if the truck. Well apparently I did a poor job of looking or I never actually got under the driver side of the truck, because it's shot.

Got to pull the seat and carpet to see just how extensive the damage is, or if I have any on the passenger side that I couldn't see from the bottom. Seat bolts are of course stuck, and the seat rails would have given me a mjor clue if I'd known to look at them. Back passenger side bolt isn't connected to a rail, the rail is gone. RUST! Driver side front bolt is stuck/rounding won;t come out. Driver side rear bolt I can't get access to because the seat is stuck in place. Passenger front bolt is coming out. Sprayed everything with PB blaster. Ordered a set of bolt extractors on Amazon, should arrive later in the week. All else fails I'll take the sawzall to the seat frame and forcibly remove it so I can acess the bolt. Seat is worn out and I wasn't going to use it anyway.

I'd say it isn't really safe to drive as is, not that is is drivable at the moment anyway. While I'm not concerned with the floorboard falling out after a danger to manifold warning pops on my laptop, I wouldn't trust a seat to stay anchored after a hard braking or minor fender bender.

So how bad is a floor pan replacement? Biggest problem here is I don't weld, and I don't have time. Dad does have a mig if I can get all of it over to his house, but that still leaves the problem of no time. Drilling holes and riveting after removing rust wouldn't be difficult, but that's a lot of rivets to pop in. Dad said back when he worked in a body shop, probably 40 years ago, that they braized in floorpans with a lap joint rather than welding with a butt joint. Don't know anything about brazing either. I don't see a lapjoint being an issue as long as its clean and sealed up good, but I'm thinking spot welding would probably be better than brazing.

I know new pans are available, and price isn't that terrible. I also have an 86 cab that I am scrapping due to rust, but I think that the driverside floor is good. Issue with taking a patch panel from it is I underlined it with bedliner and rust bullet before I found the other rust issues. Might cause problems for welding into truck.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Rust is like a rabbit hole; it can be a small area or can go into a huge area.

Depending on your time, ability, and patience a simple job could end up being a complete floor with supports and rockers.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I honestly think it would be faster to spot went a new floor in place and smear it with seam sealer, compared to rivets.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals