• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hose Clamps to Balance Drive Shaft

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_twisted: Just crazy to me to see this work. I heard of it and finally tried it. It's similar to balancing tires with beads/BB's or Centramatic wheel balancers. I also found drive shaft balancers made similar to the Centramatics.

I placed two identicle hose claps on the driveshaft end, in the same direction and with the screwdowns at 180 degrees to each other. If it's balanced the clamps should stay how you put them. The clamps have to be tightened enough to stay in position when you stop but must be able to freely rotate around the driveshaft. Then you take a drive. They moved into the position you see in the pic. I placed them back at 180 degrees apart. I took another drive, they moved back to these positions, the vibe stopped again, so I tightened them down. I did the same at the same time at the front of the shaft at the differential and they did not move so I think the front is in balance and removed them.

I checked the balance on the rear driveshaft using this method too. It was off a bit. I had to get the rear shaft retubed (too short duh) and it was right on when I checked it using this method. I had also told the driveshaft shop and think they did a better job the second time around on the balancing.

There are many other factors that could be leading to driveshaft vibes, but this help me solve one.:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
Very cool,thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Nice. Gotta remember that..

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals