• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

homemade intake??

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone built a homemade PVC or aluminum intake??. really all I want is to replace the intake pipe with a 3" pipe..Does anyone have the exact measurements of the parts needed??

post pics if anyone has any

PS>>> when people signature says "Airbox mod" does that mean all of you have drilled through your fenders and placed the pvc pipe there..or just removing the silencer??

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
why not just buy one of thouse kits? i made mine out of pvc. Juss buy 4 ft of pipe, and take a look at the space you have and figure out what kinda bends you need, then go buy them.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you're making a snorkel, you don't need anywhere near 3 inches. You're not going to be running drag races in a river. And 3 inches can (and likely will, under the circumstances) flow worse than the stock intake.

If you're trying to make a performance intake, well, you're just barking up the wrong tree. There is NO WAY you are going to guess your way through airflow. It's a much harder problem than you are assuming.

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
?

What..dude im not making a snorkel..I just wanted to know if anyone has basically replaced there intake tube with an aluminum one or PVC..I think its F*ckin ridiculous to spend $200+ for a plastic pipe with a cone filter that i could as soon make myself...I just needed somewhere to start with some specs maybe some dudes might have...besides don't most of you like to build "Bolt on isn't custom"...right

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You're right it's FN ridiculous to spend $200+ for a plastic pipe and a cone filter.

Because it won't do a dang thing. Neither will your mod.

Leaving it alone is free (well, it actually saves money, sometimes quite a lot).

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual

alrighty buddy...I want to hear more replies though...I do know for sure. more air = more power..so thats a given...why not lift a small restriction of your truck and make her breath better

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Think of it this way. Connect two funnels with a small tube. Now make one of the funnels bigger. Did it make a difference?

"More power" means near-constant redlining at full throttle. That's where the air=power thing works (even then, it's a simplification -- you don't move the air constantly, but must start and stop it, hence too much air can kill torque). If it doesn't describe how you drive this, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Because your stock air box is a Cold Air Intake already, and already flows more air than you engine can use. The real way to do things is add free flowing heads with bigger valves. None are made for RBV engines to my knowledge. So, in a sense your heads are the restriction, not your stock air intake.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
alrighty buddy...I want to hear more replies though...I do know for sure. more air = more power..so thats a given...why not lift a small restriction of your truck and make her breath better
First don't try to argue with MAKG it'll get you nowhere on this board, unless you've got cold hard proof. Second the only way that you'll get more power from more air is if you can move the air. For the most part the stock intake can handle more air than an otherwise stock motor can move. Work on the rest of the motor before worrying about the intake.

nezwick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The amount of airflow is limited by the most restrictive parts of the system. Simply adding a larger/less restrictive tube is not going to magically increase the bore of your throttle body or MAF sensor housing, or venturis in the intake manifold.

In fact, if you go too large or change the design too drastically, performance will be degraded because the air will have less velocity when entering the cylinder.

Custom intakes sound wicked and look a lot nicer, but to get noticeable performance, there are a lot more factors involved than just building a pipe and sticking a cone on the end.

HTH

[Edit: Wow, three other people replied while I was typing this... They basically already said what I did, esp. the funnel example, but oh well.]

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
lol, drag race in a river, MAKG dont mention that, im sure some people around hear would have ir now plan to do it...I got a mental picture right away haha. MAKG hit the nial right on the head with the two funnel analogy. Plus, the filter and intake tube are not the most restrictive parts on your engine, so it wont care what your doing. i missunderstood and thought you were making a snorkal.

BigRedRangerII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you want more air running through your engine, your gonna need to do something with it, and your gonna need to be able to get it out. You are working from the wrong end first. Start with the exhaust system, and work your way up from there. If you put too much air in the engine, and your truck can't get it out, your going to have problems for sure.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you put too much air in the engine, and your truck can't get it out, your going to have problems for sure.
Sorry, man....

Does this mean your truck is going to fart? What can you do about it? Bean-O in the fuel tank?

[Really, "piling up" flow like that just backs the airflow up, to a first approximation -- you simply won't put more air in the engine than it can exhale. It only gets worse with turbulent or low-velocity flow. (Nearly) incompressible flow is a bitch.]

BigRedRangerII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
nah, just cut back on the fiber.

BigRedRangerII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was just saying that for mods, the exhaust is a dam fine place to start. As you start putting more power in the engine, you need a route for it to escape, as you said, incompressible fluids are a bitch. The air will find a way out, hopefully it finds the way it is suppose to go...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals