• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

high school 1957 vs. 2008

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Things aren't that bad. You make it worse by exaggerating and focusing on the negative--which is what the media does. You are buying into the panic the media is trying to sell you.

In 1984 when I was in highschool some kid ran over his estranged girlfriend and she was drug under his truck for a block. She lived and he went to a home and the newspaper had an article and then life went on. Nobody said "kids are dragging girls under their trucks all the time." We had a murder where some kid shot his parents in about 1985 and the whole town of 13,000 was in mourning and locking their doors--for a week. We had the drugs we could get our hands on and they were everywhere. Think they wouldn't have been in 1958? My dad graduated highschool in 1963 and he did all the same things I did 20 years later. Worse in some cases. I got suspended a few times for fighting or showing up drunk after lunch. Same ashatts, different decade.

I just hate these type of posts that are designed to give you a sinking feeling but are absolutely undocumented and unsubstantiated. The world's different, certainly, but people have been the same for several thousand years.

I'll give you an example of something that's different between now and 1958. In 1958 we were on the verge of sending lots of troops to Vietnam. How did we end up treating those guys? How are we treating our troops now? Which is the more moral era? In 1958 we didn't want any more war, we wanted to be greedy and gather everything up. We had no foreign competition. We were paying bloated salries for our workers to build bad products because we had the world at our feet. Everyone was still in recovery from WW2 blowing their lives flat and we were fat and happy and immoral pigs. In 1958 we had beatniks protesting that lifestyle and they turned into hippies. There were serious problems in the following decade. Campus protests turning into national guardsmen shooting students. The race riots. 1958 was a seriously screwed up period. The Cold War had kids doing nuclear attack drills--which we were still doing when I was a gradeschool kid. When I was a gradeschool kid we were all pretty sure we would be incinerated before we grew up. Nobody worries about that anymore.

And inspite of popular opinion, gun control laws have been rolling back, not forward. The assualt weapon ban and magazine bans have expired. The states have largely opened up their right to carry laws. That you can't leave your gun hanging in the window of your truck at school. I mean, is that a good idea? I never saw that. I've seen the racks, but who has actually left a gun in there? I carry my gun in my pocket everywhere that the law allows. I couldn't do that 15 years ago.

There's bumps, but the world's getting better every decade.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
And inspite of popular opinion, gun control laws have been rolling back, not forward. The assualt weapon ban and magazine bans have expired. The states have largely opened up their right to carry laws. That you can't leave your gun hanging in the window of your truck at school. I mean, is that a good idea? I never saw that. I've seen the racks, but who has actually left a gun in there? I carry my gun in my pocket everywhere that the law allows. I couldn't do that 15 years ago.

There's bumps, but the world's getting better every decade.
I beg to disagree. I finished high school in the 50's, and we never heard of "gun control laws." Everyone that had a gun rack had a rifle of some kind in it. Hunting was a favored pasttime. We had guns at 10, 11, 12 years old. Anyone could buy ammunition. We could buy guns in our teens. No permits. No background checks.

We had Korea, and Viet Nam wasn't yet a problem. But, then again, maybe its regional, I don't know.:)shady

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I was born in the 50s...and even though society and the rest of the world has been through some very unusual changes, people are still greedy, conniving barbarians that will slit your throat to survive...but, at least, you will probably die in a smoke-free zone unless the paramedics get to you and haul you off to the hospital where they might reject you if you don't have medical coverage...

Otherwise, life is much better...in the 50s they probably couldn't save your life...now they can...and then you go on welfare or disability pension due to your injuries where you will get just enough to be able to afford the drugs you need to recover, pay a portion of your rent, and eat canned dog food with crackers...

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Scenario 9: Two friends are talking about cars they like.

1957: I hear Ford Motor Company is introducing three separate lines of big block V8’s next year! Talk about power! Talk about American!

2008: Wow, I wish I had a Tuned Honda Civic.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's against most schools rules and you can get thrown out because of it. A friend of mine (graduated) used to keep his 20 gauge behind his seat covered with a blanket, did it for two years. A lot of people keep their bows in the trunk of their car or bed of their truck during deer season. My father keeps a fake gun on a rack in his truck to mess with peoples heads, only has a real one on it when he's in it durring season. Otherwise he hides it where no one can see it. I agree, keeping guns on your gun rack when your not with it is a bad idea.

Also, did the Assault weapon ban and magazine ban really expire? What does this mean for people looking to get one?

Some word of wisdom for you....
The best way to get over one girl is to be under another:icon_thumby:
Were still together.. I'm holding on by a thread, hoping I can repair the relationship but I don't see it going anywhere..

I think it might be a long time before I would be ready for another relationship, and an even longer time before I'd be able to get into one.

I'm what you would call a "sensitive" guy from birth. Girls say they want one, but when they really have one they change their mind.

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
I hope things work out for you, Koda.

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
Dude koda your in high school. 5 bucks says if you look around the room right now there's atleast two cute chicks in the room, go talk to them get some numbers and start the healing process by eating lunch with some hot chicks lol that's how I do it

irishblessing

It's against most schools rules and you can get thrown out because of it. A friend of mine (graduated) used to keep his 20 gauge behind his seat covered with a blanket, did it for two years. A lot of people keep their bows in the trunk of their car or bed of their truck during deer season. My father keeps a fake gun on a rack in his truck to mess with peoples heads, only has a real one on it when he's in it durring season. Otherwise he hides it where no one can see it. I agree, keeping guns on your gun rack when your not with it is a bad idea.

Also, did the Assault weapon ban and magazine ban really expire? What does this mean for people looking to get one?

Were still together.. I'm holding on by a thread, hoping I can repair the relationship but I don't see it going anywhere..

I think it might be a long time before I would be ready for another relationship, and an even longer time before I'd be able to get into one.

I'm what you would call a "sensitive" guy from birth. Girls say they want one, but when they really have one they change their mind.
theres a difference between concealed and out in the open you can get in alot more trouble for a concealed weapon(here anyway)

im a sensitive guy man i know what you mean but honestlytake it easy for awhile dont really look around then start looking other girls(thats my opinion keep in mind i dont know the story it might not work for you) but i wish you luck and by the way this wouldnt happen to be the girl that moved in with you would it?

irishblessing

Scenario 9: Two friends are talking about cars they like.

1957: I hear Ford Motor Company is introducing three separate lines of big block V8’s next year! Talk about power! Talk about American!

2008: Wow, I wish I had a Tuned Honda Civic.
lmao thats a good one :icon_rofl: damn honda civics

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
some want a civic these days over a big block due to fuel costs, yes theyve gone back down compared to a year ago, but still not enough for me to have a 454/460 as a daily driver.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dude koda your in high school. 5 bucks says if you look around the room right now there's atleast two cute chicks in the room, go talk to them get some numbers and start the healing process by eating lunch with some hot chicks lol that's how I do it
+1, you will get over it, dont let one chick screw things up for you. Life is to short to do that. There are many hotties everywhere that youd be better off with. Go find one.....

link040188

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just got out of high school like three years ago and already i see my self and choices their as silly we all think we are smart and got it all figured out. the truth is you never know were you are until after you've been their and you can look back at it i'm sure in another 10 years i'll look back at the way i am and laugh at myself.:icon_rofl:

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
One year some kid got expelled from my high school and the school went into lockdown and had an investigation just because a kid had a spent .22 shell in his backpack.
It's just ridiculous. I remember only about ten years ago when everyone had rifles in their trucks around here. Of course the HS here has a sign up during the fall that says "Hunting season reminder: Do not bring your guns to school"

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I took my 12ga. to school as a freshmen. I kept it in the office until class time though.
I was doing a report on firearms and needed it for demonstration. This was in 81, try doing that today.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
They're just a lot more paranoid now because of events like Columbine and what happened in Alabama this week. 100 people can be safe gun handlers but it only takes 1 guy acting normal to go on a killing spree.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals