• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with Towing a Bass Boat with my Ranger?

acleme1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I own a 1996 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 3.0 V6 Engine. I own and want to tow a 21' Charger Fiberglass Bass Boat. I believe the boat weighs 2000 lbs. or better. My truck does not have a towing package. I simply hook the boat up to the ball on the bumper.

Pulling the boat down the road seems to be fine. Putting the boat in and out of the water on the boat ramp is another story. My truck will barely pull it out. And when I finally do get her out, the smell is rancid (clutch?).

The past couple days, I have had a hard time getting the truck into gear, and the clutch feels funny. I took it in, and it looks like I'm buying a new clutch and a new slave cylinder ($700 - $800 repair). OUCH!

My question to you guys is this: Is my bass boat too much for my truck? The mechanic thinks I will be putting a new clutch in 3 times a year if I keep pulling my boat with my Ranger. Is he correct? If so, I guess I need to sell my boat, because I do not want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new clutch every few months.

Any input you guys could give would be much appreciated. AC.

polkat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford r
Engine Size
4.o
Transmission
Automatic
I have yanked my brothers 16 deep V lund out with my 92 I put it 4 low with the hubs unlocked and made it out and up the hill fine :icon_hornsup: I dont know how much it weighed but it squated the truck with air shocks stopping was a whole different story thou :icon_surprised:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I 16' Lund weighs about 1,000# with a motor on it. A boat trailer for that size boat is about 350#.

That 21' bass boat is a whole different thing. It's probably 2,000# without the motor or fuel. A 150hp outboard motor can weigh 500#. It can carry 50 gallons of fuel so that could add 300#. The trailer might be 600#. This could be 3,500# or more. That's a lot for a little 2wd truck to get out of the water. When you get the clutch replaced, get a better clutch. A LUK gold is a good choice. The factory clutch is a little wimpy. I would also install a rear locker. I know when I was using my little Mazda pickup on the boat ramp I had to ask other people to climb in the bed for weight--which they were happy to go to get me off the ramp.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Your truck has low range for a reason. Just dont turn if you have auto hubs, it's a good idea to get manual hubs so you can use 2wd low so you dont have to stop at the top of the ramp to take it out of low.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oops, didn't notice it was a 4x4.

Yeah, what were you thinking. Put it in 4-lo and pull it out!

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
4-Lo all the way, just don't turn on the pavement unless you have manual hubs and they're unlocked. My explorer easily pulls a 5000 lb ski boat up the ramp no problem with no clutch burning necessary. A 4-banger ranger should have no problem yanking that thing outta the water in low range.

SHAKE&BAKE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i believe low would pull it fine but you are going to put more use and stress on other things think into the future brakes wearing quick clutch,etc.... but fishin's worth it!!!!!!!!!:headbang:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i believe low would pull it fine but you are going to put more use and stress on other things think into the future brakes wearing quick clutch,etc.... but fishin's worth it!!!!!!!!!:headbang:
That's towing in general though, gotta pay to play.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals