• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help please

mj!4200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 04 Ford ranger 3.0v6 gas 144000 miles on it every thing is pretty much stock but I don't much about vehicle's so I'm wondering what is the tester called that check an see if I got a bad cylinder is it a compression tester or leck down tester and where is a good place to find one cheap but that works good

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A compression tester will tell you the PSI that the engine produces. Its more important to have fairly even pressures across cylinders.
A leakdown tester is more comprehensive and also needs a compressor to work. It will tell you how much air is leaking from a cylinder and where that air is leaking from.
The compression tester is the one you should get first until you build up more knowledge of mechanics. Any cheap one will do.

mj!4200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
A compression tester will tell you the PSI that the engine produces. Its more important to have fairly even pressures across cylinders.
A leakdown tester is more comprehensive and also needs a compressor to work. It will tell you how much air is leaking from a cylinder and where that air is leaking from.
The compression tester is the one you should get first until you build up more knowledge of mechanics. Any cheap one will do.
Ok thanks alot

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You want a Compression tester gauge with spark plug threaded hose

Harbor Freight has a test kit for $30, seen here: https://www.harborfreight.com/compression-test-kit-8-pc-62638.html

You remove ALL spark plugs first
Then you screw in the hose fitting to 1 cylinders spark plug hole, and hook up the gauge
You then use the starter motor to turn the engine over, count to 5, then stop cranking engine
Write down the pressure shown on the gauge along with cylinder number, 1 to 6
Then release the pressure in the gauge
Move hose to next cylinder

Once you have tested all 6 cylinders you can then COMPARE the 6 pressures to see if any are 10-15% lower than the average

A compression number like 140psi means nothing on its own, could mean low battery voltage, incorrect pressure gauge(even new), poor testing method, leaking hose, ect.....................
By testing ALL 6 cylinders at the same time you will have taken all other things off the table so you can make a diagnoses

If you have 1 or 2 cylinders that are below the average then you would add a teaspoon of engine oil via spark plug hole, and then re-test compression, pressure WILL go up, but unless it goes up fully to the average you have diagnosed a Valve Issue

Just a heads up, there was a TSB for 2004 to 2006 Rangers with 3.0l engines
These years could have defective exhaust valve seats causing low compression in some cylinders
Only fix was replacing the heads or having a valve job done, replacing seats and exhaust valves
Even though the seats were "defective" its way out of any recall or warranty

If you want to avoid all this you can just do the "dollar bill test"
Google: dollar bill exhaust pipe test

It will tell you if your misfires are burnt/damaged exhaust valves
And so heads need to be changed

You can also use a Lighter next to tail pipe, if flame gets SUCKED IN that means burnt exhaust valve, seen here: https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/61284/why-would-a-lighter-flame-go-into-an-exhaust-pipe

When an exhaust valve is not sealing, compression drops which causes the misfires, but what also happens is that on the INTAKE stroke when cylinder has 18" of vacuum applied that unsealed exhaust valve SUCKS IN exhaust, you can see that at the tail pipe by the Bill being SUCKED towards the tail pipe or the Flame being SUCKED IN
Working engine should have a constant OUT flow at the exhaust tail pipe

A cylinder that is misfiring from a bad spark or injector issue wouldn't cause the SUCKING, backwards flow, at tail pipe

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your dollar bill test reminded me;
Back before i knew much about motors i watched a friends dad work on a carburated car. Air filter off and held at high revs could see puffs coming out of carb (iirc.... it was 40 years ago). I guess that would be intake valve...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, too much valve overlap on cam or intake valve mis-adjustment, vacuum gauge is handy for that symptom

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd unplug the injector harness before doing the compression test.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
hold throttle open during cranking.

mj!4200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank u everyone for the help and I think I know what is wrong I did the lighter test as suggested an it was sucked in so I think it's the exhaust valves..I'm attempting to locate information on how to get it fixed

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Replacing the heads or having heads serviced(valve job) at a machine shop is the only fix

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals