• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help me get my project truck started!

Paysochan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey there! I created my account so I could ask for some advice. So, about a week and a half ago, I bought myself my first project car/truck. It's a 1992 Ford Ranger with a 4.0. (Funny story, I bought it from an amateur actor who's most popular role was playing a transphobic guy in a transgender bathroom PSA). It's been sitting for about a year in the previous owner's driveway. He installed a new fuel filter and gave it a full tank of gas before I bought the truck, and I gave it a new battery and an oil change hoping it would start, and it does sometimes before conking out. I don't know if there's something wrong or if it's because it's cold weather in New England and it hasn't run for a long time, but I can't get it started and keep it running. I bought some throttle body cleaner to try and clean out the IAC valve hoping it would fix the problem, but nothing. I know the fuel pump works btw, so it's not that issue. There was one time where it did start up normally but I had to shut it down because it was way too loud (broken muffler). Any advice as to what I should do? Sorry for the paragraphs of text btw

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So when you say the fuel pump works, is that just because you can hear it cycle with the key or have you actually pressure tested it?

have you checked the spark plugs and verified that it’s getting spark?

check for vacuum leaks, those can cause problems

have you checked to see if the computer is throwing any codes? Just because the check engine light isn’t on doesn’t mean the computer doesn’t have anything to tell you

Paysochan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So when you say the fuel pump works, is that just because you can hear it cycle with the key or have you actually pressure tested it?

have you checked the spark plugs and verified that it’s getting spark?

check for vacuum leaks, those can cause problems

have you checked to see if the computer is throwing any codes? Just because the check engine light isn’t on doesn’t mean the computer doesn’t have anything to tell you
The don't have any way to check fuel pressure, I'm saying yes because the fuel pump is whirring. From what I can tell it doesn't seem like fuel is the problem. I checked the spark plugs and they look new. I noticed while look at them that one of the spark plug wires was broken, so I went out and bought a new set of spark plug wires and that didn't work. I'll definitely have to look into the vacuum lines and stuff though.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pumps can run without building enough pressure for the vehicle to run or run well, I have had it happen more than once, but both times it was newer trucks that run a higher pressure (00 Ranger and 02 Explorer). It may or may not be part of your problem.

What exactly does it do when you try to start it?

Paysochan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well, currently it's just cranking and cranking, and it won't start up. It was doing this today when I tried to work on it. When it decides to start, it turns over, but at really low idle and then dies. It doesn't stay on for more than 5 seconds or so.

Paysochan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well, currently it's just cranking and cranking, and it won't start up. It was doing this today when I tried to work on it. When it decides to start, it turns over, but at really low idle and then dies. It doesn't stay on for more than 5 seconds or so.
I assume it's just cranking a lot today because it got flooded with gas.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Take a key and press on the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. If you get sprayed with fuel its pressure. Try to run it off starting fluid, if it stays running then you have a fuel volume problem.

Paysochan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Take a key and press on the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. If you get sprayed with fuel its pressure. Try to run it off starting fluid, if it stays running then you have a fuel volume problem.
Tested it with starter fluid, no change

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tested it with starter fluid, no change
Seems like an ignition issue then, my best guess is a crank position sensor, tps, or coolant temp sensor.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
No spark then?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Pull a plug and verify you have no spark. Have you tried holding the throttle down a bit while cranking? Sometimes just cleaning the IAC isnt enough....i also dont know if you spray ether in with a stuck closed IAC and a closed throttle if it would start anyways.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pull a plug and verify you have no spark. Have you tried holding the throttle down a bit while cranking? Sometimes just cleaning the IAC isnt enough....i also dont know if you spray ether in with a stuck closed IAC and a closed throttle if it would start anyways.
It's fuel injected. Holding the throttle down a bit will flood the engine. Even holding the throttle to the floor will flood the engine, OBDI doesn't shut off the injectors when you hold the throttle to the floor while you're cranking the engine.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
It's fuel injected. Holding the throttle down a bit will flood the engine. Even holding the throttle to the floor will flood the engine, OBDI doesn't shut off the injectors when you hold the throttle to the floor while you're cranking the engine.
No you wont. If you crack the throttle while cranking and it fires you know its an IAC issue.

Also EEC IV/OBD I absolutly has a "clear flood" mode that works by matting the pedal during crank. Says so right in the owners manual and is well known knowledge here.

Paysochan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all your advice. I pulled out the plugs and they aren't the best, didn't see a whole lot of spark, but it's running now! It turned out it was a cable that connects to the coil pack that was broken. Plugged it back in, and did some zip-tie action and it runs and drives now! I definitely will get some new plugs. It definitely needs a tune up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals