• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help me before i buy expensive parts plz. ASAP

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.slow
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys been a member for a while and i need advice before i buy a whole new clutch kit plus flywheel. Well let me tell ya the issue. When i first start up the truck and drive it around town a little bit to get it up to operating temps it shifts fine. No problems until it gets warmed up. Then it's like it doesn't want to go into gears when i fully depress the clutch. I've bled the system to make sure there's no air ( trust me there's no air lol) and the only other thing i can think of is the slave cylinder and release system. It's like once i get it into gear it doesn't want to come out of it in certain situations like when reversing i come to a complete stop and it doesn't want to go into first unless i pump the clutch 15 times. So i want to make triple sure that it is the clutch and or slave because i'm going to be doing the work and dont want to waste money on things i dont need right now. Clutch free travel is about 3/8" which seems fair on that so unless my clutch where the pedal presses the rod that part might be in odd sorts idk. :icon_confused: so if anyone's had this problem or knows what parts i might need let me know thanks.

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.slow
Transmission
Manual

Jason_J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your clutch is not slipping once it's in gear I would start with the slave. It makes sense to replace the clutch at the same time, but if the cash is not in the cards just do the slave and release bearing, mine came with the bearing already attached.

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.slow
Transmission
Manual
that's what i was thinkin. I found a kit with the release bearing with clutch kit for 135 shipped to me so i was thinkin about gettin that but have no clue what type of shape my flex plate is in. Plus my hayne's says something about using a press to put the pressure plate and stuff together?! I thought it would be just a bolt together operation.

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mine and a buddies did this it ended up being the syncro's

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.slow
Transmission
Manual
Oh dont tell me that HAHA ik it's not the sync's tho b/c it shifts fine when it's cool but when it's warm and the fluid thins it's like it doesnt want to work properly. Added note. Is the slave cylinder the same as the release cylinder? Because im not seeing anything like an external slave cylinder. Is the release bearing assembly have the slave cylinder inside of it? If so that's thee dumbest set up i've EVER seen lol.

kenwheeler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's an internal slave. If it's hard going into 1st and reverse it's probably the slave cylinder. Have you noticed any brake fluid leaking from the trans? Most clutch kits come with a clutch disk, pressure plate and a pilot bearing. Most slave cylinders come with a slave and a release bearing (throw out bearing) attached. The only other thing is the flywheel and depending on your location, figure about $75. The smart thing is to replace it all while you got the trans down. No sense raising and lowering that thing unless you're looking forward to replacing the parts you didn't change in the future. These things can be a monster project to tackle if you're unfamiliar but an owner with the right tools and average skills can do it. Once you get into it, you'll see why the shop would charge so much $ to do the job. You'll also see why it's best to replace it all while you got the trans down. You can do it though, I just replaced the same thing in my sons 94 4x4. I'm not a mechanic, I have the right tools and I drink lots of beer. Have fun.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals