• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help identifying idle noise (with video)

RangerJoey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Teen Wolf for President!
Hello,

This has been going on for sometime now but the truck hasn't been driven in ages. Now I'm looking to move from the suspension onto the actual engine. About to change the oil and I know there's a million other things this 4.0 needs, (plugs, wires, air filter, MAF/Throttle clean, EGR, PCV and so on), but can anyone help identify this kind of "electric motoring" noise going on? Forgive the video quality. I tried panning the entire engine bay but the noise I'm referring to comes into play clearer the closer I get to the rear driver side, (around 0:50 mark or so). It's really hard to pinpoint with the engine moving all that air.

Something is making me think steering and I wouldn't mind swapping the power steering fluid this weekend anyway since that's like number 24 on the list of a kabillion things this truck needs.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Power Steering pump. They tend to whine like that, especially when the fluid is low. Best way to confirm would be to take it for a drive, and turn the steering wheel. The pitch will change as the pump pumps fluid to turn the wheels.

RangerJoey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Teen Wolf for President!
Thank you! I was going to do the turkey baster method but I might really take off the return line and do it thoroughly if it's that loud.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals