• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help choosing new clutch

slushee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Stock
I have a 2010 V6 Ford Ranger 5 Speed 4x4. I bought this truck brand new off the lot.

The clutch is original and it's getting to the point where it needs to be replaced. It won't shift when cold, and it's finicky and the slave is leaking. My mechanic is good and agrees it's time.

My local machanic suggests either a LUK clutch kit, master cylinder and slave cylinder or a more expensive Rhino clutch kit with both cylinders.

I wanted to ask the community, since I plan on maintaining this truck for another 5 years, and nothing else on the truck is broken (160 000 KM), would the LUK be the way to go?

Or is there a better clutch to install in rangers? My mechanic says he installs many LUK clutches and is kinda the go to clutch replacement. He says I might get a couple more years from the Rhino but it's more expensive. I'm leaning towards the LUK right now.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Last edited:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Luk is the oem manufacturer for clutches.

Get a clutch kit from rock auto. Much cheaper than the local auto parts stores

I’ve personally used luk. Sachs. Exedy. Had good success from all of them.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I usually use Luk but have also used them all including the super cheap ones - pretty sure I paid like $30 for a Brute Force clutch years ago. I don't think it's worth putting a premium one in unless the disc is physically larger or you're towing a lot.

slushee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Stock
Thanks for your input, I'm going to go with the LUK. I'll post the results for interests sakes once its in!

Mike Tonon

How about best slave cylinder? My mechanic buddy says mine is starting to go out at only 80,000 miles! And the clutch still grabs fine, no slipping! But I really don’t want to pull it all apart and not change the clutch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals