• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello. Newbie that needs help

aolexa68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 in
Tire Size
16”
Hello all. My name is Andrew, and I am a new member to the forum. My beast is a white 2004 Ford Ranger XL regular cab with the 3.0 (I’ll post pics later). As you’ll see, rust belt has given it a serious beating over time. This beast has been in my family for many years, and was my first vehicle. It’s far from perfect, and I along with my relatives were not the perfect owners with this truck. It had been crashed before I got it, and it’s been patched back together. But I’m determined to be a better vehicle owner, and since I got this truck, Ive been teaching myself and learning how to upkeep and fix this beast properly and responsibly. But enough rambling.

The main point of this post is I’m looking to replace body panels and the whole bed. I’ve been visiting different sites for a southern parts Ranger for body parts, and I found one on Copart that doesn’t appear to have any rust on it. It’s a 1998 Ranger XLT, and it’s in my budget. My question is, will these body parts (the bed and front panels) be 100% interchangeable or will they not fit? I know 2004 the ranger received some updates and is a little different than the previous rangers in some aspects, and I wasn’t sure if the body panels and bed are any different. Thanks guys.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The basic body panels form 98 on are pretty much the same except for the front grill and quarter panels from what I remember. I can't remember if the 2004 shares the same grill and head lights or the 98 or not. Pulling up some images from google should help you narrow down what matches the front of yours before you buy. Everything else from the doors back should be pretty much the same with some minor exceptions.

aolexa68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 in
Tire Size
16”
The basic body panels form 98 on are pretty much the same except for the front grill and quarter panels from what I remember. I can't remember if the 2004 shares the same grill and head lights or the 98 or not. Pulling up some images from google should help you narrow down what matches the front of yours before you buy. Everything else from the doors back should be pretty much the same with some minor exceptions.

Looking online at the parts, the front panels do look slightly different. The front grill is definitely different, and so are the headlights. I think I’ll keep looking for another donor vehicle that’s 2004 or later since that seems to be the year that Ford changed the Ranger to look like mine does. Truthfully the front ends the nicest part, and that’s the part that was wrecked ?. Thank you Sgt (and also thank you for your service).

Last edited:

aolexa68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 in
Tire Size
16”
If I find a donor vehicle and I start adding pieces and fixing some internal problem, is restoration/attempting to restore threads something members take interest in here? I’ve seen some of the v8 swaps and other major wild builds on here, but I didn’t know if just the every day fixed up Ranger was something members particularly cared to see on here

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I'd be interested.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
We like the average, every day Rangers as much as the special builds. It’s why the forum is here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals