• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello and help with decisions

99rangers

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
My credo
Whatever can be put off till tomorrow, should be put off untill tomorrow.
Well I've lurked long enough and its time to start getting dirty. Ive had and now have nothing but rangers my first was a 99 xlt loaded 4w drive auto 6 cyl 4.0l lost it to a misunderstood title loan.ah water under the bridge.next a 99 2w drive 5 speed manual that i K too much into b4 I realized i might have done better looking around for alittle more truck. Anyway The 99 has a totally replaced front end , new clutch and 4 monroe shocks, plus clutch master cyl And slave . New tiree and a blown engine. Along comes a year 2000 4wdr, 3.o automatic trans.xlt in body beautiful pic uP . So I figure ill pull engine out and stick it in 99 2wdr.heres where I start to pull my hair out. The 2000 has no keys,fuel tank coil pack. Im looking for best least compliCated path to having a running ranger. Im hoping for a little nudge in the right direction and the some info. Anyway hi and ill move my next reach out to the proper help forUm. Oh and ive talked to a good locksmith she will Cut my 2 keys and get my ecu and pads programed properly for like $250.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I wouldn't bother swapping in a 3.0....Any chance you can sell it and maybe some parts and get a 5.0? It wouldn't be that much more work, and way more worth it.
we call 3.0 the three point slow motor lol. Its actually a good motor, but not for a truck. Gotta rev the piss out of em. They hauled in the old Aerostar minivans lol.

I would sell the 99 and keep the 2000 (even with the 3.0). its newer and has 4wd. Is it way more beat than the 99 or something? I don't get why you would even bother with the '99 if there's nothing wrong with the 2k. If you can afford it, I would make the 99 a prerunner toy and build it out. the 2wd makes a great pre runner. A 2wd V8 99 body style prerunner would be sick! Other than that put the money into the 2k 4x4, maybe swap a v8 in that! Then you can use the old 3.0 in your 99....so many options, good luck lol

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You never said what engine was in the 99.

Quickest way to the finish is to put an engine in the 99.

99rangers

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
My credo
Thanks for the thoughtsi got the 2000 outta my buddies scrap yard.no wheels keys fuel system and various other things snatched out from under the hood.and as I said ive put alot into the 99 infra structure. Im hoping to have good running ranger after im done.with as little cost and labor as possible. Ive got a lot of irons in the fire right now. Kinda feel like I'm juggling chainsaws.
As it stands Im probably leaning toward getting the 2000 up with everything off the 99.for the record i used the 99 to pull quire a few mesquite stumps and haulled alot of gravel . Ergo 2 clutches .the stock oem clutch is really toy like. Thank God for autozone lifetime quarantee.any way i dont want to ruffle any feathers so i think im continueingin the 3.0 litre help forum thanks

99rangers

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
My credo
You never said what engine was in the 99.

Quickest way to the finish is to put an engine in the 99.
Sorry i thought I did, both have gas 3.0l. thats why i grabbed the 2000. I thought the identical engines wuz all my problems fixed untill that little ditty about the mismatched bolt patterns onthe flywheels landed.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Sorry i thought I did, both have gas 3.0l. thats why i grabbed the 2000. I thought the identical engines wuz all my problems fixed untill that little ditty about the mismatched bolt patterns onthe flywheels landed.
I hate when that happens. If its the same 5 speed manual as the 4.0 ohv, you could swap that in...Mines alright, still no V8.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals