• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Head gasket I think

sun417

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a fouled out #2 sparkplug and it appears to be coolant and oil on it. I think I have to replace a head gasket just wondering how much work this would be for someone who has never worked on a fuel injected vehicle or computer. Last time I worked on a car was my falcon back in 70. Plan to port and polis while they are out and replace the water pump does that sound like the way to go??

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
unfortunately these motors crack heads more than they blow gaskets.i've seen them crack between the valves.engine rebuilders just use new after market heads(which aren't much more than having old heads redone).at the very least have the heads checked for cracks and use a FORD lower intake gasket on reassembly.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A fouled plug with a radiator that is keeping it's coolant usually means a valve seal that has went away. If coolant is fouling the plug there should be excess pressure in the radiator causing overheating and puking it's coolant out.
Put ONE NEW plug in there and drive it to see if the coolant overflows...if not the valve seal is the culpret... MIGHT also be broken or worn rings in that cylinder but mostly not..
Big JIm

sun417

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This thing has me baffled. I took the word of a local mechanic that I had a bad head gasket. I pulled the plug again and I see no coolant only oil. I guess the best thing to do is pull the head and just see what's up. Any ideas it is a total no fire on the #2 all the time.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This thing has me baffled. I took the word of a local mechanic that I had a bad head gasket. I pulled the plug again and I see no coolant only oil. I guess the best thing to do is pull the head and just see what's up. Any ideas it is a total no fire on the #2 all the time.
Look to the wires and coil.. I wouldn't tear her apart until I found just what my problem was.. A new head gasket won't cure a simple plug wire.
Big JIm
:rolleyes:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Before pulling the heads, check the compression, and do a leak-down test. If those tests are ok, you don't have a blown head gasket, or cracked head. The lower intake gasket, however, will cause coolant, and oil loss.

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Try taking a 1/4" drive socket with a 6" extension with universal joint and 10 mm for a walk around the lower intake manifold torque pattern. If they turn easily try retouquing the intake. Beats pulling a head.

Good luck

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
And also Mr Ayers tips above

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Before pulling the heads, check the compression, and do a leak-down test. If those tests are ok, you don't have a blown head gasket, or cracked head. The lower intake gasket, however, will cause coolant, and oil loss.
A leakdown test is not something that can be done by the novice, and many pros don't know how to do it correctly. It is not done that often by many garages. Unless sun417 has the equipment and knowledge, he would have to find a garage to do the test, and it would be costly, and take a little time if done correctly.

A compression test with less than 15% variation between cylinders should give some indication of the condition of the engine.

If the cylinder is not firing because of oil leakage from a valve seal, the cylinder should fire with a new plug until it fouls again. Also, valve seal leakage will show up when the engine is first started when cold by blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. shady

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a fouled out #2 sparkplug and it appears to be coolant and oil on it. I think I have to replace a head gasket just wondering how much work this would be for someone who has never worked on a fuel injected vehicle or computer. Last time I worked on a car was my falcon back in 70. Plan to port and polis while they are out and replace the water pump does that sound like the way to go??
unfortunately these motors crack heads more than they blow gaskets.i've seen them crack between the valves.engine rebuilders just use new after market heads(which aren't much more than having old heads redone).at the very least have the heads checked for cracks and use a FORD lower intake gasket on reassembly.
Yup, my truck is in the shop for cracked heads right now. I had the same problem right before I sent my truck into the shop... it was puking a little bit of oil into the coolant and it was also burning coolant. CRACKED HEADS. May not be what you want to hear but it is all too common. I fouled my #3 plug and pulled a #3 mis-fire code from her and I said that was it.

sun417

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the ideas, I'm gonna take another close look at the coolant and the oil and try torqueing exhaust manifold. It is not overheating I placed a new plug in it but still missed compression test showed 115 but that was with the cheap one you have to hold on not the screw in type. I will check the other cylinders to compare psi. looking for the worst already gathering up stuff bought water pump think I may have a set of heads on the way soon if so port polish rebuild and then everything comes apart, walking sounding better everyday. LOL

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the ideas, I'm gonna take another close look at the coolant and the oil and try torqueing exhaust manifold. It is not overheating I placed a new plug in it but still missed compression test showed 115 but that was with the cheap one you have to hold on not the screw in type. I will check the other cylinders to compare psi. looking for the worst already gathering up stuff bought water pump think I may have a set of heads on the way soon if so port polish rebuild and then everything comes apart, walking sounding better everyday. LOL
You want to try torqueing the lower intake manifold, not the ehaust manifold.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
A leakdown test is not something that can be done by the novice, and many pros don't know how to do it correctly. It is not done that often by many garages. Unless sun417 has the equipment and knowledge, he would have to find a garage to do the test, and it would be costly, and take a little time if done correctly.

A compression test with less than 15% variation between cylinders should give some indication of the condition of the engine.

If the cylinder is not firing because of oil leakage from a valve seal, the cylinder should fire with a new plug until it fouls again. Also, valve seal leakage will show up when the engine is first started when cold by blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. shady

Valve guide seals will not cause coolant loss, read the OP!

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
No shit, Sherlock, :clapping:I was responding to the post below.:rolleyes:shady

Very strange, why did you quote me, instead of him, if you were responding to his post??????

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals