• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Have you ever actually needed a spare tire?

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Damn, I wish someone would pay me like that to change a tire.
I just got done changing out 8 snow/ice tires/rims back to stock stuff on our two Subaru's. Took about 2 hours. Silly thing is we didn't get but one 4 inch snow this entire season.
Bummer.
Grumpaw

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I didn't think it ever snowed enough in VA to be worth switching to snow tires in the winter. I didn't even bother putting mine on this year. All we got was a few dustings.

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've had to use the same spare several times (totally safe). It might have had something to do with buying cheap used tires and going sideways/doing donuts in rough gravel. Who knows?

My Ranger has KOs on it, the version before KO2s. But they are dry rotted bad

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I didn't think it ever snowed enough in VA to be worth switching to snow tires in the winter. I didn't even bother putting mine on this year. All we got was a few dustings.
It's hit n miss. This year, none. Last year, meah .
4 years ago, had two storms back to back, one dumped 28 inches, 4 days later 18 inches.
Wife is an RN, semi retired, part time now, but when she gets a shift, no matter the weather, she HAS to get there, even if snow/ice on roadways.
Bought the snow/ice/rims from Discount Tire 6 years ago, and so far still good.
Only run them cause of her job.
Grumpaw

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've had the flat-tire-in-the-morning scenario that I used the spare for. No other options at the time
No different than the flat tire getting off work. Put a can of Fix-A-Flat in it, used my cig. lighter air pump to fully inflate them, drove home. Next day took it to a friend's shop and had it plugged properly.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
No different than the flat tire getting off work. Put a can of Fix-A-Flat in it, used my cig. lighter air pump to fully inflate them, drove home. Next day took it to a friend's shop and had it plugged properly.
Your friend must hate you...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your friend must hate you...
Didn't say a word. I had taken the tire off the Ranger and put it in the back of my Lightning and hauled it over there. He dismounted it, cleaned it, patched it, put it back on, re-aired it, and I was on my way back home in less than ten minutes. I buy a lot of tires from him, and I send people there all the time with flats to fix. Sent a woman there the other day (Tuesday) with a flat and all four tires needing to be replaced as they were near bald. He gets a lot of business from me. So he's cool.

He has a Sinclair station and does tires there as well. Batteries also. His tire prices are the best around here. And he's close, three miles away. Also the only station in this area that has 93 octane. I mean for miles around, the only one. He can't keep that 93 octane tank filled. Has to refill it three times a week. So I know it's always fresh.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ill I can say is drive a truck and dont give a fuc and you too can be paid to get your tire changed

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Fix a flat is corrosive as hell. It'll eat through aluminum rims and tpms sensors and is a horrible mess to clean. At some point without my knowledge someone used fix a flat on one of the rims on my MKX and it was never cleaned out properly. That rim never sealed properly again and always had a slow leak because the bead seat was so corroded. Alot of tire shops wont even attempt to patch a tire thats had fix a flat in it, buy a new one or get lost. That stuff is just absolute garbage in my opinion. A plug kit is just as quick to use and no mess. And if the tire can't be temporarily fixed with a plug, fix a flat isnt going to work anyway.

Eff this nonsense.

rim-on-fixaflat.jpg

tire-pressure-monitoring-system.jpg

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
ive needed a spare a couple of times, once was a rotten valve stem and I was losing air on the way home from work, had only 7 more miles to go and tire was flat. 2nd time was quite dangerous. I was in the 92 longbed 2wd passing a semi on a major 4 lane highway. left front came apart, I completed the pass (at 70 mph) and got off the road to change the tire. there was still tire on the rim but I had trouble getting the lugnuts loose as the rim was slipping and turning inside the tire casing. I ended up sticking a long screwdriver through the rim to jam against the caliper. The other front tire was identical so I checked the date code later. It was made in 1986. this was just 3 years ago.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals