• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Have you ever actually needed a spare tire?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It just dawned on me that in all my years of driving I cannot remember a single time I actually needed to use a spare tire. I've gotten flats but never had a blowout while driving that required me to pull over and put the spare on. It's always been that lovely scenario when you go outside to start your car in the morning and the tire is flat from a slow leak. In those situation I've always just patched the flat tire instead of putting the spare on.

Am I the world's luckiest person or are spare tires over rated?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You're lucky. I've had at least 3 blowouts over the years. The last one just a few months ago. But I'm also poor and can't afford new tires. I buy the best used ones I can find, but they are probably all over the 5 year date code.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've used a spare tire a couple times but the only time I can think of for my own vehicle I was at home, changed the tire at 5am to go hunting, plugged it once I got home and it's been sealed ever since (there was a 1/2" rock in the tire). The other time was on the wife's car, she had a catastrophic tire failure from a bad used tire (I haven't had luck going to used tire places...) and I had to put it on for her... she was traumatized from having to use the wrong jack that was in her Rav4 a few months prior, turns out the sploder had all the right stuff...

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
yep, you are lucky. hit one of Indiana's famous craters/ er potholes on I 70 at 11pm at night doing about 75 mph... tire immediately went flat and shredded itself. had to change a tire facing traffic that was too stupid to move tf over while I changed it, with my at the time 3 year old son in the back seat.

destroyed a 250 dollar tire and the rim. pissed me off.

I have had to change a few others out in the wild but nothing as butt clenching as that one on I 70...

And if you didn't know, a full size spare from a 1993-1997 Dodge Intrepid bolts up perfectly to a 1997 Ranger... fits over the 4x4 hat even...

AJ

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It just dawned on me that in all my years of driving I cannot remember a single time I actually needed to use a spare tire. I've gotten flats but never had a blowout while driving that required me to pull over and put the spare on. It's always been that lovely scenario when you go outside to start your car in the morning and the tire is flat from a slow leak. In those situation I've always just patched the flat tire instead of putting the spare on.

Am I the world's luckiest person or are spare tires over rated?
I’ve had 2 flat tires, one was on my work truck in the driveway in the morning... That one got plugged and then filled with the onboard compressor.
The other was on my ‘90 supercab from a pothole less then a block from my house. I drove home and put my winter wheels on a few weeks early. I replaced all 4 tires the next spring before switching back to the Cobra wheels.
So.... never needed a spare tire.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've never used a spare and been driving since 1976. I keep a can of Fix-A-Flat in all my vehicles. And in whatever I'm driving for the day, one of those pumps that plug into the cigarette lighter. Came out of work one night a few years ago to find a flat. Shot the F-A-F into it, then fully inflated it with the pump and drove home. Next day, took it to my friends shop and found a drywall screw in the tread. He patched it and the tire is still on the truck.

Today I was checking pressure on my Mustang tires and found a screw in the tread, yet the pressure was normal. Drove to my friends shop three miles away. Told him it likely didn't penetrate the pressure barrier, just pull it. Pulled it, no leak. YAY!! It went in sideways. LOL!!

Long time ago, early 80's, was driving my 70 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400 in Lancaster CA. Heard a loud POP! Then clank-clank-clank. Pulled to the side of the road, and there is a railroad spike in the front passenger tire. WTF? WTF isn't a new saying, btw! LMAO!!! Needless to say, that tire had to be replaced. BF Goodrich Radial TA in G50-15. Was expensive back in the day.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I've needed a spare a half dozen times. Not recently and a few times I actually had a good one too.

First time me and a friend were heading to drive some golf balls years ago. No room for the clubs and the spare in my Granada. Instead of just taking a few clubs I left the spare at the house. One of my old JY Uniroyals gave out. Had to walk a few miles to a phone booth (remember them). Never did that again.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've never need one for myself.

A few years ago though my wife was driving near her mom's house and took a fist sized chunk out of her sidewall while taking a corner where some rocks poke out from the dirt wall at the edge of the road. She cut it too close to the edge and cut the tire on a sharp rock.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Twice. The first time I had been in a hurry and left the spare at home because I had it out to air it up and clean the rim. My parents were not thrilled at getting a call to come rescue me at 2am back then. Infamous Firestone blowout.

The second was on my way to work one morning. Put the spare on and it only made it a couple miles before shredding. Fun times when the concrete mixer for our job came cruising past... lol

Had a number of nails/screws in tires. I carry a plug kit usually. Want to pick up an inflator from one of these newer cars though

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
My flats have all been at home or parked somewhere convenient. Did have to rescue the wife and MIL one time. But they were at a restaurant.

There have been times when it was easier or quicker to put on the spare or take another vehicle, then plug the leak after work.

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have used my spare tire 3 or 4 times over the years. Last time was about five years ago when I was going to meet someone and ran over something and caused my low tire pressure light to come on and luckily it was a slow leak to where I was able to pull off into a parking lot and put the spare on.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Once for sure, I think twice since I started driving in 1970.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’ve used a spare a few times. Usually after picking up a screw or a nail on the road.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
I had to use my spare once. Got ran off the road in my '95 Dakota and went over a curb at an angle. Blew the front and rear tire out on the drivers side. I put the spare on the front and drove it about 3 miles home.

sooperxtool

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1993 2004
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've had the flat-tire-in-the-morning scenario that I used the spare for. No other options at the time

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals