• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard Shifting 4R44E

SlowMotionReplay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 96 Ranger with the 4R44E (as far as I can tell). 3.0L with 2WD. For the past long while, my transmission has been shifting hard from 1-2. It seems to shift harder while at lower RPMs (which makes driving in traffic terrible, to the point where I just put it in 2nd and leave it until traffic lets up). My O/D off light is also flashing, which I did pull the codes for at one time, but I seem to have lost the sheet I wrote them down on...I'll work on finding the codes.
Also, as I was driving down the highway, I noticed that when I press down on the accelerator after letting the truck coast for a bit, that it feels like nothing is happening for a split second, then it grabs as usual. There's no engine rev, it just feels like there is little play somewhere along the line.

Any ideas on why my transmission is shifting so hard and acting funny and what I can do to fix it?

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If the OD light is flashing then there is a code and when there is a code something is wrong thus the computer puts the transmission in high line pressure which accounts for the hard shifts and will make tranny shift funny too. You need to get the codes pulled or have someone put a scanner on it to see what is going on.

khooper

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
you should probably change your fluid and FILTER, most shifting problems are caused by a dirty filter,make sure all vacuum lines are hooked up, if that dont work it might be a computer problem

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
you should probably change your fluid and FILTER, most shifting problems are caused by a dirty filter,make sure all vacuum lines are hooked up, if that dont work it might be a computer problem
Don't waste your money changing the fluid and filter untill the codes have been read. Untill then , everyone is guessing. Since the O/D lamp is flashing, there IS a problem with the trans. Computer ( PCM is proper terminology ) is fine.

SlowMotionReplay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So I finally got the codes pulled, and here is what I found:

-Trans range sensor circuit high input
-EVAP emissions control syst control valve malfunction
-EGR flow insufficient
-Trans fluid temp sensor A circuit high input

Any ideas on what they mean, or what I should do to get my tranny to stop shifting so hard?

Booker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi SlowMotionReply,
I have the exact same problem you are having. It just started about 2 weeks ago. "Hard Shifting 4R44E". The O/D Off light flashes after it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd. I have the same tranny but with 89k on it.

Currently, I'm manually changing gears between 1st, 2nd and up to "drive". This seems to make me a little happier.

I took it to AAMCO for a free transmission inspection. Basically they said it will cost me about 1900 bucks to get it rebuilt. I'm going to take it to another shop for them to look at, but I have a feeling they will say the same thing or something similar. I'm not in a "trust the mechanic" mood. I cannot afford 2k.

I'm hoping it is a faulty sensor or something that does not require a rebuild. I'll post the codes shortly.

Looks like we are in this together!!

Last edited:

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Anytime the OD light is flashing there is a problem. When the computer thinks there is a problem it will put the transmission into high line pressure as a preventive measure(also known as fail safe mode)which will cause harsh shifts.

As for Slowmotionreply the Trans Range Sensor circuit high output refers to the (as some call it neutral safety switch) which will cause transmission shifting problems. I would address that issue along with the trans temp sensor which could be caused by the MLP switch(trans range sensor.

Booker did they pull the codes??

Booker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Greetings,

Thanks for the update Bruce.

The aamco technician wrote the information on an invoice and it was faxed to me. The handwriting is sloppy. But it looks like the codes are:
P0732 - Gear Ratio Error in 2nd
P1756 - Shift Solenoid B Performance.

Also, I wanted to say that if I release the gas pedal just before I think it will shift from 1st to 2nd, the transition is smooth. If I "gun it" then it hardshifts. Reducing the gas just before it switches seems ok.

Thanks,

Booker

Mongolow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 96 Ranger with the 4R44E (as far as I can tell). 3.0L with 2WD. For the past long while, my transmission has been shifting hard from 1-2. It seems to shift harder while at lower RPMs (which makes driving in traffic terrible, to the point where I just put it in 2nd and leave it until traffic lets up). My O/D off light is also flashing, which I did pull the codes for at one time, but I seem to have lost the sheet I wrote them down on...I'll work on finding the codes.
Also, as I was driving down the highway, I noticed that when I press down on the accelerator after letting the truck coast for a bit, that it feels like nothing is happening for a split second, then it grabs as usual. There's no engine rev, it just feels like there is little play somewhere along the line.

Any ideas on why my transmission is shifting so hard and acting funny and what I can do to fix it?
I just got done replacing the valve body gaskets. It was blown out. The upper gasket. This was the things I was experiences. No codes. OD flashed then went out and stayed off. I would go into gear normally. Shift gears just fine. Until it got warm. Then it would seem like it slipped. RPM went up and down and grabed into gear. This Transmission is known for the gasket in the valve body gets blown. There is a fix kit. I did not use. I broke the shift piston that controls the pressure to go into gear. So be careful and not damage it putting the plate back together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals