• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got the swap started today!

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I've got an excel spreadsheet I made for the pinout changes needed to repin a 1990 ranger harness for an LA3. I can't promise it will be of any help on a 94, but I'll email it to you if you PM your email addy.

You do know that you need a large VAM and 35 lb/hr (brown top) injectors to run an LA3 computer, right?

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I'll also try to get a couple pics of my engine bay so you can see how I routed things.

Also, try www.siliconeintakes.com for all your tubing needs. They have everything and prices are pretty reasonable for silicone parts.

And let me tell you, a ranger with a 2.3 being blown on at 16 PSI is well worth whatever it takes to get it there. These things are a blast to drive, and fast enough blow the doors off most things on the road.

Last edited:

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I've got an excel spreadsheet I made for the pinout changes needed to repin a 1990 ranger harness for an LA3. I can't promise it will be of any help on a 94, but I'll email it to you if you PM your email addy.

You do know that you need a large VAM and 35 lb/hr (brown top) injectors to run an LA3 computer, right?
PM sent. Thanks Sevensecndsuv. I have the injectors and a VAM from a Merkur so I should be OK. I was wondering about the boost control solenoid. Will a universal AEM work for this or do I absolutely *need* this?

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And let me tell you, a ranger with a 2.3 being blown on at 16 PSI is well worth whatever it takes to get it there. These things are a blast to drive, and fast enough blow the doors off most things on the road.
16 psi is fun. 25 psi is insane, til you lose a head gasket.:mad: It's getting expensive.

I've never run a BCS, it's fine.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I can't imagine 25 PSI in a ranger. Mine's already getting so squirelly at 16, thats as far as I want to push it.

The leap from 16 PSI to 20s also requires spending a lot of money of injectors and tuning.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
PM sent. Thanks Sevensecndsuv. I have the injectors and a VAM from a Merkur so I should be OK. I was wondering about the boost control solenoid. Will a universal AEM work for this or do I absolutely *need* this?
I sent you that stuff. Hope it helps.

You don't need the BCS. That's what the computer uses to switch from 9 to 15 PSI. You can just get a manual controller. I, like many others, am using one from www.boostvalve.com. It works great.

And a Merkur VAM with Merkur injectors will only work with a Merkur computer. To run an LA3 (which is what you said in the first post), you must have a big VAM and 35s.

I'm not trying to bash you, just save you from extra work, hassle, and frustration. If someone knows otherwise about mixing and matching computers, VAMs and injectors, please let me know

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Oh... I'm sure I thought you were doing it on your '85. I probably thought so because of your screen name and the fact that you didn't have the "TURBO SWAP STARTED" in big letters next to your '94.

My bad... I am wanting to turbo my '85 though... I got two of them to mess with.

One's a 2.0, and the other is 2.3 (originally had a 2.8, but it's getting rebuilt... someday)
Wow an 85 and a turbo 94. Are you wearing the other half of this amulet?....:rockon:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals