• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got a new job. Utility locator

Xandor

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88, 89, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 2.9 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone ever done this? If you look online there hiring everywhere. Check out usicinc.com if you need a job, something I never even thought of before. Starting pays isnt great but its not to bad for where im at anyways, $13hr. They work you like a dog in the summer time 60-65hrs a week, and not so much in the winter.

They gave me a truck and of course its a ranger lol. Didnt think I'd drive an 08 for at least 5 more years.

Funny thing is they have tryed all sorts of truck ranger, dakota, toyota, they were telling me now there only going to go with the ranger because they love them and there buying a hundreds of new ones this year and next. Shouda seen them when I told them there wont be a next year. Don't think they thought I knew what I was talking about.

Last edited:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Let me git this straight......you got a new job & your just about your own boss when you leave the office........

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd......you get to drive a late model Ranger..............................

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd.....they pay for the gas........

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd......their gonna give you $13 an hour to start???????

Where do I sign up???????????????????????????

:yahoo:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
you sure you put up the right website? i went to the one you posted and there are only two openings, one in Tennessee and one in Texas, neither are for a utility locator

Xandor

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88, 89, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 2.9 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
My bad. www.usicinc.com There only in 20 states but but you can bet every other one is highering also. This is there down time to train and there seems to always be a demand because it takes a good year before your good enough at your job before they let you do everything the job requires.

So If you not in them 20 states just find who the locating companies are in your area.

I thought there was going to be more freedom than there is. Theres a GPS that geting you in trouble if you let the truck idle more than 8 mins, stop to take a piss on the way home from work in the truck and you mite get a call for using it on your persnal time. Or so I'm told, We'll see. So, who can tell me how to disable a GPS and unplug the odomtor lol. But it all depend on who your boss is I guess.

www.thecablevine.com is a good place to get some info from the ground floor.

Last edited:

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
hmmmmm they have a base in MN but its in the Twin cities :(

eta no openings near my town all are at least 2 hrs drive away

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
M So, who can tell me how to disable a GPS and unplug the odomtor lol. .
You don't want to disable the GPS. That would likely get you in trouble if the system works anything like I've got in my head.

What you could do is SPOOF the GPS. Have a microcontroller that runs in parallel with the GPS receiver (and the "HEY HERE I AM" transmitter that tells them where you are) that can output NMEA (or whatever protocol they use) strings in such a way as to look as if you are continuously changing location.

This would be a challenge but it could be done given enough time and access to the system.

Though you would almost definitely no longer be employed if anyone found out about it. I'm not sure I would even joke about it on a publicly viewable forum :p

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My used to be a trucker and he said that when the GPS trackers first came out guys would cover the little dome with aluminum foil....it worked but they soon got a call lol

Xandor

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88, 89, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 2.9 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
My used to be a trucker and he said that when the GPS trackers first came out guys would cover the little dome with aluminum foil....it worked but they soon got a call lol
Ya that's what my dad did. He was fired for it of course. Ya I want this to much to screw it up doing something stupid like that.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just do your job and don't worry bout thr gps.

I've got one in my truck. Doesn't bother me much.Saves me a lot on gas.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Just interviewed with them! thanks for the intel!

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just hired on in OK. By the time you add up the gas THEY are paying for, (driving Company truck home every night) and the lack of wear and tear on your own truck, AND the rising gas prices.....You're making like $2- $3 dollars more a paycheck. If you do your job, the GPS isn't an issue. I'm thinking it's a really good Deal. I've talked with other employees, who can't emagine wanting to do anything else. Over time is also as much as you want, within daylight hours...

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you aren't doing anything wrong then there is no reason to worry about the GPS... if you're worrying then about it then you're doing something you shouldn't be.

Good Luck.

Rudie Del Rude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Most the utility trucks I see are rangers out here.
I was a cable installer for about 8 months last year, it was decent money, but that's because I was working 60-75 hours a week. I was also contracted so I paid for my own gas and drove my own truck. Worked 6 days a week, and 7 every other week. It's nice if ya got a wife and kids, haha,but for me, I need a little free time. I'll stick with a 40 maybe 50 hr a week job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals