• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R or ?

TXBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now..
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking to purchase some new tires for my BII (33X12.5X15) and wanted to get some feedback on the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's? My BII is now my Daily Driver but also want a decent tire for mud and rocks. Is this a good choice? Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help and info..

Phantom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I really like the set on my BII.. I have the old tread pattern & they work really well.. I have the 33's on there now..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Reasonably cheap tire...was $87 each with free shipping from Amazon. 235x75R15. Quiet and dependable tires.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I just ordered a set of 35x12.50r15 MTR/K's for my sport trac. From talking with people who have run them, they love em.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Treadwright, I love em and they are great everywhere. No problems so far wet, dry, ice, snow, mud, or dirt. I've had traction in every situation I put them in, minus mud bogging cause that's just dumb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I had the MT/R-Kevlars on mine for a bit over 2½ years (35x12.50R15 flavor). They were downright awesome tires in every respect except one:
They slowly started getting out of round after a few thousand miles and I finally had to get rid of them due to the nasty vibration they were causing on the freeway (odd too... they started out being smooth as glass). If you don't drive the freeway much (60+ MPH), then go for it. But if you do, then I say avoid.

I have BFG KM2s now. FARRRR smoother ride, and so far are staying smooth (though I think they're a little noisier than the MT/R-Ks were when they were new). Unfortunately BFG's measuring tape needs to be recalibrated though (these "35s" are 34.5") :annoyed:

Buddy of mine swears by Dunlop Mud Rovers (has 33x12.50R15). They seem to be a great tire also (round, easy to balance, good grip, good tread life, and are 33"), though it seems they have pretty thin sidewalls.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Again there....I've never had any luck with BFG MT's....always seeing them separate.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just ordered a set of 35x12.50r15 MTR/K's for my sport trac. From talking with people who have run them, they love em.
Can U post up a pic of that sport trac. Been looking at them lately.

TXBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now..
Transmission
Automatic
So got issues with both the tires I have been looking at it seems. This is my daily driver and I have to drive on the hwy to get to work. If I get the Road Hazard from Discount Tire would that cover either of the issues these tires seem to have? Out of round or separating? Plus I think I am going to go ahead and get 35s.

TXBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now..
Transmission
Automatic
Any thoughts on the Duratracs or Cooper STT? I know I have been more looking at the MT but I really only get my BII off road every now and then.. Didn't realize picking a tire would be such a pain. I have BFG MT KMs on there right now..(325X60R15s) and they have about 40% tread left. They were on there when I bought it.. Seem okay..somewhat noisey..don't like wet pavement to well. With my suspension setup right now can't get over 60 mph with them or it feels like the front end is going to shake apart. But hopefully get that all fixed up tomorrow with my new lift, shocks, and stabilizing bar. Plus replacing all the sway bar bushings too..

Last edited:

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just got km2s in 35x12.50, they ride nice... finally got to take them through some light/med mud, and they did good... got to use them through 6" of north carolina snow last week too... they did real good... of course thats not much cause im used to feet of snow from ny, but still ran good. smooth too. only been a couple weeks since i got them though.. but i hear the mtrs are good too... just cant stand a symetrical pattern

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Buddy of mine swears by Dunlop Mud Rovers (has 33x12.50R15). They seem to be a great tire also (round, easy to balance, good grip, good tread life, and are 33"), though it seems they have pretty thin sidewalls.
I used to have Mud Rovers in 235/75-15, I really liked them. They sounded like some sort of George Jettson spaceship sound on the highway but rode smooth, I got them used too though.

Aside from ground clearance they would blow away the 31x10.5-15 Firestone Destination MT's that replaced them. Don't know if I am getting too much flotation or if they are just that weak of a tread.

I have the Jeep Rubicon pattern BFG MT on my F-150 (only available in 255/75-17 and some small 15 last I checked on tire rack) and I really like them. Not too loud, not too quiet and all around a good tire. Not as good as a good AT on packed snow/ice but they are great breaking trail in fresh snow and they don't give up in mud.

I don't run on any rock aside from gravel, just mud if I have to and snow when it suits me. :D

Last edited:

Sampson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the Goodyear Duratracs on my truck, 31x10.5R15 size and love them. They aren't to loud and are good offroad too. They have held up really good on the road, I use to daily my truck and these were great for that, I'm very happy with the tread wear.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I used to have Mud Rovers in 235/75-15, I really liked them. They sounded like some sort of George Jettson spaceship sound on the highway but rode smooth, I got them used too though.
lol, yeah I guess they do have that sortof sound... weeeoooeeeoooeeeoooeeeooo :icon_twisted: Fortunately it's not unusually loud for a MT.

I've seen a BFG AT separate, though it was a tire that was about 10 years old at the time (and had some dry-rot you could see in the tread). So far that hasn't happened to any of my BFGs, knock on wood (been through 5 sets of BFGs over 20 years). Twice I've tried Goodyear tires and both times I was less satisfied overall than with BFGs (1st time with Goodyear was the old-pattern MT/Rs that are still currently on my Ranger. They too are a bit out of round, though not anything near as bad as the MT/R-Ks were, they have slightly differing diameters (my Detroit Locker obviates this), and they tend to slip on the rims when aired down which throws their balance off. I will say however they have weathered the sun & pollution here in So Cal exceptionally well... 12 years old and they only now have just started showing some signs of dry-checking that you reeeeaaaallly have to get up close to be able to see).

I would think a tire's warranty would cover issues with OOR or tread separation (Goodyear certainly made good on theirs for my OOR MT/R-Ks). Just make sure you keep them properly inflated though... If the tire shows any signs of underinflation, they'll likely deny a separation claim.

DieselTech07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1997 1994
Make / Model
Ford Ford FORD
Engine Size
2.3 3.0 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Any thoughts on the Duratracs or Cooper STT? I know I have been more looking at the MT but I really only get my BII off road every now and then.. Didn't realize picking a tire would be such a pain. I have BFG MT KMs on there right now..(325X60R15s) and they have about 40% tread left. They were on there when I bought it.. Seem okay..somewhat noisey..don't like wet pavement to well. With my suspension setup right now can't get over 60 mph with them or it feels like the front end is going to shake apart. But hopefully get that all fixed up tomorrow with my new lift, shocks, and stabilizing bar. Plus replacing all the sway bar bushings too..

on my 94 ranger 3.0 4X4 locked front and rear I am currently running Cooper STT 235/85/R16 load range E
50 PSI front 60 PSI rear -last time I was on a scale was well over 4600# without me if I recall correctly.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/COO-76104
got them by the end of the week from summit, standard shipping. mounted them up at work on tire machine, did NOT balance them.

Cooper STT have good traction in less than a foot of mud-almost as good as the 32X9.50R15 radial TSL swampers they replaced. They do ok on dirt trails, as well as any tire on ICE, ok on wet pavement/half melted snow, did well this winter in over 18" of snow, only got stuck once was pushing snow over the bumpers in a sloped field with a spring under the snow, snow was really wet anyhow and the small ford farm tractor my brother pulled me out with was having trouble- with loaded AG tires and tire chains, front axle was pushing snow and it was also coming over the running boards- he had to stop several times and kick snow out from under the brake pedals so he could turn, had to have been close to 3' of snow; So there was no shame in the Cooper STT not biteing enough to move my truck.

The Cooper STT run smoothly up to 55 MPH, when I do occasionally get on the interstate they run 65+ MPH with only a very slight vibration- not really noticeable.
The 32X9.50xR15 radial TSL swampers I used to run would shake so badly at 65 MPH I could barely read the speedometer although to be fair having the rims packed full of dried mud didn't help matters any.

I have close to 8,000 miles on the Cooper STT tires now and they seem to be wearing well no cupping or other unusual wear patterns-have not rotated yet but will probably rotate at 10,000 miles, they do have a slight hum at speed but I can't hear too well anyhow so I just turn the radio up a little louder. I haven't measured them recently but they are still deep and I am hoping to get 30,000 miles or better and still be inspectable.

I will probably purchase the Cooper STT tires again when these ones wear out if they continue to wear well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals