• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Good first gun options - .22 and russian surplus rifles?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did I miss something? There are Marlin .22lr's with detachable magazines. The "Papoose" comes with detachable 7 rnd mag and has removable barrel and a waterproof/float-able pack for it. You can get 25 round mags also. If not interested in a collapsible rifle, then the 795 is available both blued and stainless.

I argued with myself over those in stainless and the ruger 10/22 and 10/22 take-down. I found the take-down available locally first, so that's what I got. I'm happy with it. Cool little rifle and it seems accurate enough so far but haven't shot it much yet. Lots of magazine choices for these.

I held a Marlin 795, blued before buying the Ruger. The Ruger trigger felt much better then the Marlin.

EDIT:
Just reread the OP. I say go with both auto's, or the larger caliber bolt.

Also meant to comment on the Savage accu-trigger. I have a 116 in 300wm with accu-stock and accu-trigger. The trigger is awesome for a stock trigger and is the reason I went with this gun. There are better triggers out there available for replacement, but out of the box, the the accu-trigger is one of the best. Also, Savage is known for out of the box accuracy at a good price.
I was specifically refering to the Marlin Model 60, because it seems to be the entry-level marlin .22? (not really sure, just what I seem to read?) Price is my #1 factor here...

As for going with both autos, the Savage model 64 (the auto) doesn't have the accutrigger, while the Mark II (bolt action) does... The out-of-the-box accuracy Savage is known for is the main reason Im looking at one of them.

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the Savage Mk II vs the Model 64?

Also, I have seen very little input about the SKS, other than its a good gun with less kick than the Mosin Nagant. My wife is only 90lbs, and Im not a big guy myself (only 145ish) so the lesser kick of the SKS sounds like a better choice to start with.... So what are the opinions of the SKS?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a savage mark ii fvxp, great gun. Very accurate and fun to shoot. Also have a ruger 10-22, which is fun, but not nearly as accurate. But ruger has a ton of aftermarket parts and stocks if that's your thing. I do prefer the mark ii though... Love that accutrigger.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
As for the SKS, it is an great weapon, due to it being semi auto the recoil is cut back quite a bit, it's still a lot greater than a .22 but with a little practice you can adapt quickly. Now I think the one you're looking at is the one I have, it has a very short stock due to it being Chinese I believe, they are very well made. Milled receivers and very easy to take down and clean. A simple button your press in allows you to strip the whole gun and take it apart with ease. Ammo is of course the 7.62x39 and its about right now I want to say $8 dollars for 20 rounds, if you can find it that is. It has a nice trigger pull, and is very accurate.
They come with 10 round integral magazines that you can easily take out of the gun when you take it apart. You can buy a 30 round duck bill mag and with a little grinding it will fit. Is also has a folding bayonet, and the cleaning kit is stored inside the stock. For the price, it is a great weapon, and if you can get it for $200 dollars do, last ones I saw went for about $250-$300. I would recommend a recoil pad, due to the fact it will cut down on recoil and, it will lengthen the stock. Very simple very reliable.
Here's mine when I have the integral magazine in.

Here it is with the 30 round duck bill mag fitted.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals