• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going to pull intake off to change plugs ...

HD_Slim

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 2000 Ranger in need of a tune-up at 93K miles. I've looked at it - and yeah I probably could pull it off (meaning the plug change) leaving the upper intake body mounted ... but on this first shot at maintenance on this vehicle I'd just as soon make it easy to change both plugs and install new plug wires.

I do have a do have a haynes manual (actually pages copied from the library) that cover the intake removal ..... BUT from those of you who have done this are there any surprises not covered in the manual - or something I want to avoid doing ..........

I'm a fairly capable wrench with many tune-ups and maintenance experience.

Thanks in advance !!!!

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would recommend that you first try it with just a ratchet, socket, extension, and swivel.

To get the plugs out/started just use a piece of fuel hose or something similar.

Allen

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would recommend that you first try it with just a ratchet, socket, extension, and swivel.

To get the plugs out/started just use a piece of fuel hose or something similar.

Allen
Just did the plugs and wires on my '98 and this works just fine. Took me about an hour to complete the job. Just make sure that before you loosen the plugs shoot some compressed air around each plug, this will get rid of the crap that could possibly fall into the cylinder with the plugs removed. Good Luck!

HD_Slim

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
OK ----- well I'll go for it leaving the intake manifold alone .... but I'll stock up with plenty of profanity for the moron(s) who designed this portion of the engine

@&$^@*($#&&@^^!@^&&#^^#^^$!$%@&^@&*#&!@&^!%%! :thefinger:

As someone who used to be an engineer / designer this kind of crappy design work really pisses me off

th31d10t

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Decided to change my plugs and wires today since I have not done it since I bought the truck about 4 months ago. I went to pull wires and they were garbage and falling apart but that could be because they were factory plugs and wires with 126,000 miles on them. I got 6 of them done then it got too dark to finish. The last two are the ones behind the intake so I am sure they are going to be fun.

tylerh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the front 2 aren't bad but those back two are bastards i fought with those 2 for at least an hour but hope you have better luck

HD_Slim

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well got the 6 "easy" ones done before it got too late in the day and had other things to do.

These indeed may be the stock set of plugs / wires. The freakin boots are just about welded to the plugs --- and the plugs are totally shot. Meaning the center electrode is 70-80% gone ---- the "gap" is something like .060.

No wonder it ran rough and and mileage was at least 4mpg short of what I expected. I will also clean the MAF sensor as well.

The manual calls for plugs to be changed at 100K miles --- I call :bsflag: on that. I'll do mine at 50-60K miles

th31d10t

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Decided to change my plugs and wires today since I have not done it since I bought the truck about 4 months ago. I went to pull wires and they were garbage and falling apart but that could be because they were factory plugs and wires with 126,000 miles on them. I got 6 of them done then it got too dark to finish. The last two are the ones behind the manifold so I am sure they are going to be fun.

th31d10t

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Changing all my plugs and wires getting rid of the old plugs that were spent made a big difference. My lil 2.3 no longer feels like its having a hard tiem pulling my truck.

mhagedon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ha Ha i only have four plugs!

phatcap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
if you do go the intake removal route (which i did), you don't have to totally remove the upper plenum. just unbolt it and enough of the hoses and crap attached to it to move it out of the way enough to get to the plugs. be careful though because a couple of the hoses on the underside are coolant filled! i didn't realize this and got sprayed! those hoses were a bitch to get loose too, practically welded to the damn connectors. not to mention the fact that you need hands the size of a baby's to reach under there! also remember to get a new gasket set cuz you don't want to reuse the old one.

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
i removed the plugs on my 4 banger and i removed the intake as well - my suggestion is that if you can, leave the intake on. Second, if you do take the intake off, be careful with all your rubber hoses as over the years they can be brittle and prone to get small fractures or break all together.

Its a long job but its kinda fun!

Happy trucking!

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
OK ----- well I'll go for it leaving the intake manifold alone .... but I'll stock up with plenty of profanity for the moron(s) who designed this portion of the engine

@&$^@*($#&&@^^!@^&&#^^#^^$!$%@&^@&*#&!@&^!%%! :thefinger:

As someone who used to be an engineer / designer this kind of crappy design work really pisses me off
This is what you get when you modify a fairly simple engine to be all computer controlled. Check out a early version of this thing (Early 70's) ...they are simple as hell.

HD_Slim

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well --- its a mixed bag --- I was able to R+R the last 2 plugs out and put back in via the tubing method. However on the farthest back plug I could not get a good seat on the new plug wire/boot -- tried a 1/4 inch dowel and duct-tape - bent up coat-hanger and duct-tape - long-ass big screw-driver -- chop sticks -- and whole bunch of cussin' . No combination of the above worked to my satisfaction.

Bottom line is the injectors are just in the way - so I pulled the upper intake. But really I just pulled the bolts and associated vacuum lines --- tilted the mofo up and jammed the last 2 plug wires on and dropped it back down. Then of course methodically bolted - torqued - wire loomed - triple checked everything I touched ..... cleaned the MAF sensor. Hooked up the battery and popped a :beer: She started right up and I could tell immediately it was running and idling smoother. After several commutes to work its like a new truck.

I'll do this again in 60K miles. Oh joy:headbang:

skyking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your wasting your time

I recently replaced all my spark plugs (8) and wires in my 98 ranger. Don't listen to anyone telling you to "remove" the intake manifold to do this. Get yourself a nice two foot extension 3/8" and a little patience, and you will save yourself alot of headaches and frustration. My truck had 89,000 miles on the original plugs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals