• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

General Grabber X3

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How long has the tremor name been a thing anyways? I've been thinking the ranger was the first but that's not right.
Sport FX4 package on the F150 13-14. Std cab, shortbed 4.10's 3.5 ecoboost. Then super duty a couple years ago, then f-150 again then Ranger.

I am never concerned about the lettering on tires. I just tell to mount black side out. I used to lightly spray paint the white lettering on the inside but eventually realized it was not worth the trouble. A few times off and the white is hard to see. Red would even be less noticeable.

I think General makes a decent tire. At least they used to many years ago when I ran them on my 68 Fairlane 500 Fastback. I really abused my tires when I was young.
I have their ATX on my truck, kinda of a BFG ko lookin tire. I really like them.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I really liked the AT2 I had bought in ‘19. They were great off road.
They got really lumpy and noisy after 20k or so. Still lots of tread though.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Well I just Googled that... July 2016 the X3 was released.

About the red sidewall lettering...

Probably my biggest hold up for just buying a set right now. I'm not really a fan...

Would probably look OK with all the red Skyjacker components and the red "monkey butt" fuel tank.
That sounds right. I traded the Sport Trac in in 18 or 19 on the Nissan awaiting the Ranger release. The guy at Discount Tire told me they were brand new with the red letters. Of course I bought them because they were a cheaper option at the time. I wasn't aware that the X3 tread was a new product then though.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I mistook the X3 for the ATX. That’s the new mud tire they made a few years ago.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've had the X3s on my BII for the last 13K miles or so (35x12.50R15 flavor).
I've been quite happy with them (and I've been through several duds before these).
They are quite close to round, about on par with the BFGs I had (and much more so than any Goodyear tire I've had), but a little less so than the Toyo M/T (Toyos are almost like riding on glass). Balance has remained consistent as well (unlike the Goodyear)
Noise is probably about average for a modern radial MT tire ... Noticeable, but not something you can't drown out with the stereo if your windows are up.
With 13K miles they still look to have about 17/32" tread (they started at 21/32"). I would expect at least 40K out of them, although driving style will play a huge role in how long they last.
When new, they were 34.6" (measured w/o weight on them, inflated to 30 PSI) which is contrary to their advertised spec of 35.0", so they do run a bit on the short side (I guess this is fairly common now, my 35" BFG KM2s were also small at 34.5").

I would definitely say go for the X3s if the price is favorable.

BTW, from what I have read, the red on the lettering is just a very thin coating. I bet if you scrub it with something, you'll get white underneath. If you don't scrub or wash them at all period, after enough offroading (rubbing against rocks and stuff), they'll become a dirty-gray color that tends to blend somewhat into the color of the tire sidewall. Or as said, just mount the lettering inward.
(mine did not have the red lettering, 35x12.50s are blackwall-only)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals