• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gears - Opinions Requested

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Transmission
Manual
you could run a selectable locker.......i wouldnt run anything but such in the front anyway. lunchbox lockers are fine for the rear, but not for the front.

only problem is price....
hmmm, something to think about. thanks man

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
4.56's will give you more power and crawl ratio but if you drive on the freeway more than you offroad you might want to stay with 4.10 gears to keep the revs down.i found that with the 4.56's 55-60mph was the highest comfortable cruise speed.maybe my mitsubishi 5 speed has a lower overdrive gear but with 4.10's i cruise at 2300-2400rpm's at 65mph.i'll probably swap the 4.56 axles back in since i have the little 2.9l and i don't commute in it anymore but i thought id warn you if its your daily driver.on the other hand since your truck came with 3.73's not 3.55's like my truck you might be used to the freeway rev's.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i'd like it to be street-drivable too. a l/s may work, but im not going to lock it.
A good L/S in the front is unusable on the street, might as well get a Detroit if you are going to go that route. 4.56's sounds like a good ratio to me, I have 4.56's and 35's, wish I had gone to 5.13's instead.

hick

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
It doesnt matter if its locked in the front on the street since the hubs are out and you dont use 4wd...
WS, theres nothing wrong with a lunchbox locker in the front, just dont use a spool in the front, a locker will unlock when you need it to and allow you to turn, sure a selectable would be nice but its kind of pricey and I personaly think it would be annoying to lock and unlock it all the time when Im out wheelin.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
4.56's will give you more power and crawl ratio but if you drive on the freeway more than you offroad you might want to stay with 4.10 gears to keep the revs down.i found that with the 4.56's 55-60mph was the highest comfortable cruise speed.maybe my mitsubishi 5 speed has a lower overdrive gear but with 4.10's i cruise at 2300-2400rpm's at 65mph.i'll probably swap the 4.56 axles back in since i have the little 2.9l and i don't commute in it anymore but i thought id warn you if its your daily driver.on the other hand since your truck came with 3.73's not 3.55's like my truck you might be used to the freeway rev's.
I see these comments all the time, and they are JUST WRONG.

2400 RPM is pretty close to the BEST RPM for a 2.9L. It's very slightly low.

4.56s may give you a noisy drive with 2600-2700 RPM at 65 MPH, but that's about half the redline, and at nearly perfect RPM for a 2.9L.

The torque peak is at 2500 RPM on 2.9Ls. You can wind them up to 5500 RPM before you have to start worrying about breaking things. Probably more; that's just the factory redline.

I wish I understood why people were so scared to rev engines.

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think its the noise. People associate noise with something going wrong.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
you could run a selectable locker.......i wouldnt run anything but such in the front anyway. lunchbox lockers are fine for the rear, but not for the front.

only problem is price....

After running just such a locker in the front of my truck for two years, I whole-heartedly disagree with your statement. :no2:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
care to share with us?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I guess JohnnyU agrees with my statement. I personaly dont run a front locker (dont have a d35 yet and I wont lock a 28...) But after running a rear locker I have a good idea on how one would behave in the front (and from reading about other's experiances), as long as your foot isnt in it, it will allow the front wheels to turn seperatly. Sure a selectable is nice, but if given the choice to run a selectable in the only one axle, Id stuff it in the rear since I wouldnt have to deal with the lunchbox in the front on the street (not that a rear lunchbox locker is terrible for the street, mine isnt bad at all, but open is deffinatly more street friendly) JMHO...

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
put downs

I see these comments all the time, and they are JUST WRONG.

2400 RPM is pretty close to the BEST RPM for a 2.9L. It's very slightly low.

4.56s may give you a noisy drive with 2600-2700 RPM at 65 MPH, but that's about half the redline, and at nearly perfect RPM for a 2.9L.

The torque peak is at 2500 RPM on 2.9Ls. You can wind them up to 5500 RPM before you have to start worrying about breaking things. Probably more; that's just the factory redline.

makg maybe you dident understand that his truck has a 4.0l and doesnt need the revs,theres about a 500rpm difference between 4.10's and 4.56's .also i said the 4.56's are going back in my truck because i dont need to commute 40 miles each way in it anymore.mostly i dident like it because overdrive was noisy before the tranny got rebuilt.try not to lay on the self rightous bull putting people down.blanket statements arent cool especially when its just your opinion.:annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals