• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas Mileage

BrokeRecord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Something I became aware of this week. My 07 has 18,000 miles. 4wd and 4.0 XLT. I have always got 19 mpg on the hi-way and about 13-14 in town. I recently put a tool box in the bed made for the Ranger. With the last 2 tanks of gas, about 17 gals each, my mileage was a flat 21.
Wonder if the box catches and deflects the wind over the tailgate instead of slamming against the tailgate like a wind sail??
Anyone else notice an increase ,too?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All of the actual tests that I have ever read, of tailgate up vs tailgate down were in favor of leaving it UP! So it isn't in effect a "sail" as it looks. I have seen many guys in the past with the gate in the down position...but not lately.
21 is good milage for our little truck, good job.
Big JIm

sun417

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Myth Busters did a series on this and found that up is the way to go. However you may have changed the wind flow with your addition who knows but I would suspect the weight to closer to the problem. Just my thoughts

Here is something you might want to look into ford's suggests the following;

Ford says simply installing a bed cover on a pickup can improve fuel economy by 7 to 11 percent. (More stats and tips here.)

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SUN...I may be wrong...but isn't 50mpg bout what HARLEYS get? Those are near unbelievable stats you have posted.

My personal best is 4 city blocks on a biscuit! Others may differ.
Big Jim

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals