• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas gauge pinned at full

Ranger8867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello I’ve got an 88 ranger 2.9 and I’ve just started haveing this issue today but in the morning my gas gauge was working but in an hour all of sudden look down and it’s pinned at full even though I was at half last time i looked turned the truck off let the gauge go all the way back down tried again and still went all the way up. “ note it’s got a new fuel pump sender only about 3 month old” but traced the yellow wire as best I could from the tank all the way and it looked fine check resistance and said 22.1 when I check what’s going on?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like something is loose or open. If you can reach it, you can go back and unplug the sending unit/pump wiring plug. The gauge should be pegged like it was since the sending unit disconnected. You can then ground the yellow/white wire with a jumper, and then the gauge should go all the way pegged to empty. If it passes this test, the wiring and the gauge are working, you must have a loose connection at the sending unit or the sending unit is bad. Won't be the first time, especially lately, that a new part is no good.

Ranger8867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok wasn’t able to get to trying what you said oregon coast is going through a bad ice storm but yesterday went and filled it with the gauge still not working took 11 gallon but running it around that day magically the gauge worked but going out to start my truck today to warm it up because it was 29 degrees it’s now pegged all the way up agin

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pre-1989 Fords used these OHMs for sender and gauge
..E.....F
73-10 Ohms

0 ohms is a short to ground so would read above FULL
No connection/high ohms would read below EMPTY

So there could be a short to ground on that yellow wire

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Pre-1989 Fords used these OHMs for sender and gauge
..E.....F
73-10 Ohms

0 ohms is a short to ground so would read above FULL
No connection/high ohms would read below EMPTY

So there could be a short to ground on that yellow wire
I wondered if the rangers went farther with the older style sending units. I guess this is proof they did.

The larger trucks stopped using the older system after 1986.

Here's proof of that.

Ranger8867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Finally had to day to go through the wiring for the signal wire found it was chafing just a tad at just the right angle and causeing it to pin got it fixed and no problems

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals