• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel tank issue...

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I didn't see one specifically for regular fuel issues. Just the alternative fuel forum.
Anyway, I have a 92 Ranger 3.0 2WD automatic. I filled my gas tank this evening, and when the fuel level got high enough so that the pump automatically shut off I immediately heard fuel pouring out of the bottom of my truck. When I looked under, it was running down from the top of the driver's side of the fuel tank. I'm assuming this pretty much means my filler tube is toast, but I just wanted a second opinion. I'm not leaking gas anymore, so I can drive the truck until the tank is empty. I'm just curious about what I'm facing for when the time comes. Thanks in advance!

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I believe that's the tube within a tube filler hose. In your gas cap door there are 3 screws you remove then the hose clamp on the tank side. Never done your year specific but I think some have been able to remove the rear tire and get a tool on the tank side hose clamp by going over the frame( tight but doable). If not get a buddy and pop the bed off. Here is a linky to the e-bay ones, I hear parts stores charge a bunch.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ford+ranger+gas+filler+hose&_sacat=0&_from=R40

EDIT: Yea here is autozone prices, big difference.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1992-Ford-Ranger-2WD/Fuel-Tank-Filler-Neck/_/N-iwqprZ8vdfb

Also Rockauto is $108.00

Last edited:

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thank you for the reply. That doesn't seem that bad, but the only problem I have with the link you provided is that all of the hoses that I saw only fit a Ranger with the short bed. I have the long bed. Figures...

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thank you for the reply. That doesn't seem that bad, but the only problem I have with the link you provided is that all of the hoses that I saw only fit a Ranger with the short bed. I have the long bed. Figures...
I clicked on the first one and if you scroll down it says for 108" or 125" wheel base in the specifications part. Check the ford part # they listed or seach for yours, Im sure they have them its a common problem.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I clicked on the first one and if you scroll down it says for 108" or 125" wheel base in the specifications part. Check the ford part # they listed or seach for yours, Im sure they have them its a common problem.
I believe 108 is Reg Cab, Short Bed and 125 is Extended Cab, Short Bed. Reg Cab, Long Bed is 114".

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I believe 108 is Reg Cab, Short Bed and 125 is Extended Cab, Short Bed. Reg Cab, Long Bed is 114".
I should know that since mine is reg cab long bed. There was just a thread about the filler within the last two weeks so I'm sure them guys will chime in pretty quick.

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What are the odds that this could possibly be something else besides a bad filler hose? Like maybe something wrong with the vapor line to the tank? I'm just trying to figure out what all would cause the tank to overflow from the top and come out the top of the tank and not out the fill port so I have some kind of idea before I tear into it. Of course, I have to wait until I use the gas now because I really don't want to drop a full fuel tank.

If this helps any, I first noticed gas would leak from the tank last summer when I used a gas can to add fuel to my truck. It didn't do it when I got gas from an actual fuel pump, but I wasn't completely filling it then either. Last night was the first time I had been able to fill my tank in quite a while and I had honestly forgotten about the leakage issue. I didn't notice anything until the pump automatically shut off. I don't know if any of this helps, but I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well if it was me I would fill it till it leaked and use an led flashlight to see with your own eyes where its coming from. May have to use a telescoping mirror to get a look on top of the tank at the vapor line, filler line and gasket seal around the sender/pump assembly. Just have to be careful of sparks and ventilation. I had a friend that had a leak, just filled up went to the store and some guy walking in unknowing flicked his ciggy butt under the truck and it and 3 cars burnt down heh heh.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What are the odds that this could possibly be something else besides a bad filler hose? Like maybe something wrong with the vapor line to the tank? I'm just trying to figure out what all would cause the tank to overflow from the top and come out the top of the tank and not out the fill port so I have some kind of idea before I tear into it.
The odds are pretty much nothing else. Gas nozzles are very sensitive. The first amount of pressure they feel they shut off. The gas travels up the filler and builds pressure which shuts off the nozzle, it then leaks out the holes in the rubber on the filler hose. Having a bad filler hose is a rite of passage for a Ranger owner. It's not if they go bad, it's when.

The vapor line is at a higher point than the filler hose on the tank (if memory serves correct), and it's so small that you would never get that much fuel spilling out. You'll see when you remove the bed to replace your filler hose :)

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-TANK-FILLER-NECK-7-BOX-FORD-RANGER-89-90-91-92-/281058858867?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417069d773&vxp=mtr I went to my local Ford dealership today to see if I could get the correct OEM part number for my truck. When they looked it up, I found out two things. 1) The OEM filler hose would be almost $400 but 2) it has been discontinued by Ford. Yay. I did get the part number, AL5Z-9034-D. When I got home and searched that number on the net, I didn't come up with much. However, I did find where that number crossed with another part number,
E97Z-9034-C. When I searched this one on eBay, I found one that specifically said it was for the 7' bed, and it was only $60. It's actually the same model that Advance Auto sells for around $180. Spectra model FN548.
If anybody on here needs one for a Ranger with a 7' bed, here's the link:

Edit: I removed the link because my transaction for the hose on eBay was cancelled. Apparently they guy selling them didn't have as many left as he thought and he was out of stock. He refunded my money, though, so that was decent of him. Guess I'm back to square one. Loverly.

Thanks to everyone that helped. I'll let you all know how things go after I get it swapped out.

Last edited:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-TANK-FILLER-NECK-7-BOX-FORD-RANGER-89-90-91-92-/281058858867?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417069d773&vxp=mtr I went to my local Ford dealership today to see if I could get the correct OEM part number for my truck. When they looked it up, I found out two things. 1) The OEM filler hose would be almost $400 but 2) it has been discontinued by Ford. Yay. I did get the part number, AL5Z-9034-D. When I got home and searched that number on the net, I didn't come up with much. However, I did find where that number crossed with another part number,
E97Z-9034-C. When I searched this one on eBay, I found one that specifically said it was for the 7' bed, and it was only $60. It's actually the same model that Advance Auto sells for around $180. Spectra model FN548.
If anybody on here needs one for a Ranger with a 7' bed, here's the link:

Edit: I removed the link because my transaction for the hose on eBay was cancelled. Apparently they guy selling them didn't have as many left as he thought and he was out of stock. He refunded my money, though, so that was decent of him. Guess I'm back to square one. Loverly.

Thanks to everyone that helped. I'll let you all know how things go after I get it swapped out.
When you find the right one the info may be worthy of a sticky since this has been an ongoing pita, probably been a 100 threads about it on here so yea post up what you find.

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up going with the Spectra model FN548 from my local Advance Auto Parts. Yeah, it was more expensive, but I know it will work. The local store didn't have them in stock, but their warehouse has them and it is being shipped directly to me. Oh, yeah, and right now if you order online you can use discount code FE11 and get 15% off all orders over $100. So, for my $183.99 fuel filler tube, I think it came to $166 and change with shipping. I know there are less-expensive ones out there, but at least I know that it will work and if, for some reason, it doesn't fit my truck, I can just take it back to my local Advance Auto for a refund instead of having to ship it back to some faceless person on the other side of the country (or world).

When it comes in, I will let you know whether or not it worked. I'm also going to see about taking pictures and doing a write-up of swapping this out. I know for a fact that I am going to go the bed-removal route. I don't even want to think about dropping the tank. Pulling the bed just seems easier. Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wire brush them bed bolts and hit them with some penetrating oil now, may save you a headache when you go to break them loose. Also make sure you have the big torx bit too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals