• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pump relay wiring.

snoopjonnyjon

01/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am using an aftermarket fuel tank and electric fuel pump, feeding a carb 302 in a 92 Ranger. This weekend was the first time I got any wiring back in the truck. I'm a bit confused what is the best way to wire the fuel pump relay.

I left the 3.0L computer intact, as well as the inertia switch. I extended the original wiring to work with my pump. When I turn the key on, the pump runs for a few seconds and then shuts off. Exactly as you would expect in a stock vehicle. However, after that initial burst, the fuel pump never comes on again. From my understanding, the fuel pump relay is triggered by the computer, which is triggered by injector pulsing. Since I do not have injectors pulsing, the fuel pump doesn't run.

What's the best solution here? Just wire the relay to trigger whenever the key is in the run position, or is there some other method that people use? I know I can make it so the fuel pump runs whenever the key is on, but it would be slick if I could retain of the functionality of the pump running when the engine is running. BTW, I am running an MSD 6AL box and Pro Billet dizzy.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe putting a PIP signal into the installed computer should do that for you. Existing PIP IN from the ICM is a GY/O wire into the PCM Pin 56 or 58, I can't tell which (bad copy). Splice your tach wire to there and see.

Injector pulse is not what "does" the fuel pump. Gotta be either PIP or CID, I'm betting PIP.

snoopjonnyjon

01/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I believe you are correct that the PIP is what does it.

From my research it sounds like the PIP would be a 0-5V output, and the MSD tach output is 12V. Anyone know if that's going to kill my computer or not?

snoopjonnyjon

01/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been trying to find a way to achieve this, but think I might just give up and wire the fuel pump relay to switched "run" power.

snoopjonnyjon

01/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In case anyone ever searches this wondering what I did.... I just ran the blue/yellow wire from the relay to ground. The relay already had keyed power to it. The computer only controlled the grounding. The pump now runs whenever the key is on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals