• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pump and sending unit swap?

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I got a Holley Sniper efi set up with the hyper spark ignition for a steal. However, I basically need to run a completely new fuel system with 3/8" line that can handle 60 psi. My '90 ranger that had the 2.9 in it has 5/16" line that needs to be replaced anyways. My question is for the fuel pump and sending unit assembly, is there one from a different year or something that works in the stock tank that will have the 3/8" lines coming out of it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Whats the horse power of the 302?

The 5/16th line is fine, 3/8 is only 1/16 larger(6/16th = 3/8th), just use an adapter at the engine end

The pump should be OK as well up to 325 horse power

Pump should do up to 55-65psi with correct FPR(fuel pressure regulator)

1998 and up Rangers have in tank FPR and pump rated at 55-65psi, Returnless system, only 1 fuel line to the engine bay

1989 and up Ranger fuel level sending units are interchangeable, use the same OHMs

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure of the exact hp, but heads, cam, intake, headers, ignition, I should be around 375 give or take. (The Edelbrock top end kit with the same heads I have is rated at 380)

I don't want to go to returnless if I can help it, Holley does offer a universal unit, I just didn't want to spend the $300 on it.

I'm wondering about the v8 explorer ones, but I'm not sure how different the tank is.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You can use 8an fuel line. Either push lock or stainless braided. I used nylon braided push lock with Russell and jegs adapter fittings for the Ford fuel rail and tank lines

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think the 2000 and up Rangers used the 3 port fuel filters so have a Return line to the tank
So a fuel pump assembly for 2000 and up could be used, but you would need a PRESSURE RATED return line, original return line was open at the tank end so low pressure

Would have to match your tank size, regular or extended cab(long bed)

You can get assembly from wrecking yard and add the fuel pump of your choice

The 2000 and up have pump OUT to filter port
Filter has a Return port that runs back to the tank, inside the tank is an FPR on that return line port, its set for 55-65psi
You would just use a 2 port filter with your setup

1998/99 had FPR on the pump OUT line, sometimes on the fuel rail IN, so a true returnless setup, but didn't work so well

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd love to use AN line, but I'm pretty sure the cost of it would be way too much, with getting however much line plus 4 sets of fittings, and some 90 deg joints.

the 2000 and up might work, the sniper unit has a built in regulator, but I'm not sure if the return line is pressurized on it or not.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it has a built in regulator then return is just Flow no pressure

So you can use what you have now just change the pump on the assembly to the GPH(LPH) you think you will need

I don't think Ford changed fuel lines or fittings in 1998 and up(30psi to 60psi change) so existing lines should be fine to use, as far as the higher pressure goes, diameter change is up to you, IMO its fine at 5/16th

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'd love to use AN line, but I'm pretty sure the cost of it would be way too much, with getting however much line plus 4 sets of fittings, and some 90 deg joints.

the 2000 and up might work, the sniper unit has a built in regulator, but I'm not sure if the return line is pressurized on it or not.
Not as expensive as you think just buy the Russell brand line and some of the fittings are like 30 bucks a pop but quality lasts.

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Don't overlook the stock plastic stuff. The Dorman tool to press fittings onto lines is reasonable, as well as the components.

My BII had a ~'90's pump with a 3/8" nipple. There is a filter used on a '90's Thunderbird that is 3/8" in and out (the only stock option I could find). Most of the stock fuel filters reduce to 5/16" up to the fuel rail. I made an adapter to keep everything 3/8" so it is possible.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The race truck we put together a few years ago was based around a Fox body mustang 302 that had Edelbrock aluminum heads, bigger cam, bunch of other stuff that I forget. The machine shop that put it together for my buddy estimated that it would make around 425HP. We used 5/16 steel brake line for both the feed and return from the fuel cell in the back of the truck, plus about a foot or so of rubber with push lock AN fittings on both sides of the fuel rail. The fuel pump was a stock 80's Ford style high pressure pump (the kind you'd find on the frame rail of a Ranger) and was gravity fed about a foot away from the fuel cell. We also used a Chevy fuel filter that happened to have the right threads for the brake line we used (weird coincidence, just happened to have one on the shelf and it fit.) It was for my old 2000 Silverado half ton.

Anyway that setup seemed to work really well. It was never put on a dyno or tuned past whatever the stock Mustang tune would have been but it ran great. Later on we took the fuel system out and put it in another truck with a stock Grand Marquis 302 and it worked equally well.

I wouldn't overlook plain old steel brake line or even stainless if that's your thing... it's cheap and easy to set up. The only issue might be getting it connected to your sending unit but places that make hydraulic hoses and stuff can usually build an adapter or something that will make it work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals