• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Pressure issue

Snafu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
i just bought a 1988 ranger 2.9, when we were driving home with it, as we were on the off ramp it died i dont know why but after letting it sit a few minute it started up and we got it home, as we investigated further we found out it was having issues with fuel pressure, we replaces one fuel filter but it did nothing, we thought it was either the in tank pump or the "fuel collection canister" needing cleaning, as i was looking for it i decided to give a friend a call who works at a ford dealer as a tech. i explained the issue and he told e that he thought it was either my stator coil or my ignition control module, he said if i replace one i should just replace both. i wanted to know if any of you have had these issues and it this information is correct.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Fuel filter

I believe that the 88's have 2 fuel filters.

BUT

when I have experienced similar driving characteristics I found bad IGNITION MODULES everytime, ie: dies but runs after it cools off. So if you find the fuel good, take a look at the Ignition module, they are known to crap out under heat.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I don't remeber them having two filters but I do remember them having two fuel pumps.

Doesn't hurt to give a used vehicle a tune up ie spark plus, spark plug wires, check/change the fluids etc....

Welcome to TRS, glad you finally got a Ranger.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just in the front on the driver's side frame ran directly after the high pressure pump. Do not want to mess with that canister in the back, not unless you want to add a fuel leak to the list.

It's an '88, wouldn't be surprised if you were dealing with more than 1 issue. If you can replicate it, take a can of starting fluid and a screw driver with you, once it dies, spray some in the upper intake. If it start and runs for a few sec., fuel delivery. If it does nothing, good chance it's TFI. What were the pressure readings?

Snafu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Just in the front on the driver's side frame ran directly after the high pressure pump. Do not want to mess with that canister in the back, not unless you want to add a fuel leak to the list.

It's an '88, wouldn't be surprised if you were dealing with more than 1 issue. If you can replicate it, take a can of starting fluid and a screw driver with you, once it dies, spray some in the upper intake. If it start and runs for a few sec., fuel delivery. If it does nothing, good chance it's TFI. What were the pressure readings?
don't know the pressure readings, don't have a pressure gauge however, when you push the valve on the fuel rail after it has died the gasoline only dribbles out. after turning the key to the ON position a few times the gas sprays out, i talked to a friend who works at lakewood ford as a tech and he said to try and replace the ignition module and the stator coil, i got both parts and tomarrow will probably get started on getting that done.

Snafu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
I don't remeber them having two filters but I do remember them having two fuel pumps.

Doesn't hurt to give a used vehicle a tune up ie spark plus, spark plug wires, check/change the fluids etc....

Welcome to TRS, glad you finally got a Ranger.
ya i plan to check out the spark plugs/wires and the other stuff itoo eventually, and thanks for welcoming me :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals