• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel line release

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
First time for this one 99 ranger xl 2.5 pressure side fuel line coupling at the tank wont release, I can feel the tool open the garter spring up but the line wont release I have all the different ones plastic sleeve type, pliers type the alloy fancy one from snap on all open the spring but still wont come off. I even wraped some tape around the pipe piece so that it would push the tool open more when sliding under the connector so the sring would open more still no go, I have undone a lot of these types of fittings never a problem, did Ford change the tool thats required, the fitting also feels like it dose not slide up as far on the pipe as most do before you slip the unlook tool in to expand the spring, any Ideas:dunno:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nope, should be the same tool, I have taken a few off where I nearly had to hang with all of my weight on it before it came apart, be it corrosion or dirt stuck in the connection, they just didn't want to come apart... make sure the tool is in fully and reef on 'er!

I found the metal scissor style were better for pulling

and to put into perspective how much weight I had to put on it, I weigh 220lbs

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
fuel line

Iam sure it was in all the way, I cleaned out the fitting with carb clean, came out clean and clear, nothing in there, I bench 250lb so I put a lot of pull on it, I have tried rotating it , lubing it, like I said I can feel and hear the spring expand, I have done a lot of these so I know what Iam looking for, as far as feel goes
< after the post I went back out and cut down a 1/2 inch nylon tool so that it would slip in figuring the platic sleeve is thicker,to open the spring out max still no go the fitting on the tank slides smooth in and out, so thats not a problem, and all the tools I have butt up against the flare on the pipe in side

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
just use a bigger hammer:icon_rofl:

just kidding could the flare on the inside be deformed? while the tool is in have you tried pushing in and then pulling? what about pulling out the retainer spring altogether.. sorry these are just random thoughts i thought might help you...

then again you could try heavy explosives http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxm_qpKh7Jw

that would definitely get it loose LOL!!!!!:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxm_qpKh7Jw

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you bleed off all the pressure at the fuel rail?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
They can be very difficult when the o rings dry out. It helps if you push the lines together and give them a good twisting to break the o rings loose. Push the lines together tightly while inserting the tool so it opens the spring completely.

A/C lines are especially difficult I usually have to gently clamp 2 vise grips on each side and use a pry bar to assist. I have seen one so bad on a focus that I had to slice the side of the pipe with a grinder.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I second the twist.^ Also pb blaster in the connection is VERY helpful.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Every One was wrong

The later fittings are different, after shining a light and using 10x mag. glass I could see there is no garter spring there are 3 tangs that are attached to the stainless steel outer housing but there enternal, I went to the hardeware store and bought a nylon bushing with a about 3/8 i.d. and a 10 mm o.d., cut it in half slipped it in and the line popped right off, so to some it up the release tool needs to fit tight inside the outer housing in order to push the tangs up enough to release the fitting, cost 33 cents, I always try to figure things out Iam not one for using excess force or beating on things

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals