• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Filter Help

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
So I dropped my tank today and was blowing out all the lines and checking seals and replacing clips. Of course I had already picked up an inline steel filter, that my Bronco II doesn't have... Any suggestions on this guy? Where I can find a filter for it? Took it off cleaned it up blew fuel out of it(grass should die in the driveway) and shocker no filter inside at all..? Can't seem to find a cartridge style filter for it? Thanks in advanced!

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I dropped my tank today and was blowing out all the lines and checking seals and replacing clips. Of course I had already picked up an inline steel filter, that my Bronco II doesn't have... Any suggestions on this guy? Where I can find a filter for it? Took it off cleaned it up blew fuel out of it(grass should die in the driveway) and shocker no filter inside at all..? Can't seem to find a cartridge style filter for it? Thanks in advanced!
Not all of those had a filter. They are used as a fuel reservoir.
There is a steel canister filter farther up the line, behind a steel bracket, approximately under your left foot in the frame rail. That's all you really need.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^^

Ford used a low pressure lift pump in the gas tank for the first few years after the switch to fuel injection
Fuel injection needs minimum 25psi fuel pressure to work well, so they added a 2nd high pressure pump in the frame rail drivers side
High pressure pumps have very little suction pressure, they can't "pull" fuel in, just pump it out

So a reservoir was used and installed at the same level as high pressure pump so little or no suction was required, Ford already had thousands of these canister type filter housings, used on pretty much all Ford trucks over the years, and just didn't put in the filters as they weren't needed
Some are even glued closed so cap will break if you try to remove it

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Thanks guys awesome history/advice. The strap wrench got it broke loose so guess I'll just replace the o ring and reinstall. Glad I didn't break it 😂

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals