• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel check valve mishap

backerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I've been having to cycle the ignition key 3 or 4 times to get fuel pressure up to start the engine. Just put in a Motorcraft fuel pump last summer, and its working fine, but bleeds down pressure. So I thought I'd install a fuel line check valve. Its got a fuel pressure regulator at the fuel rail (or so I thought, its actually called a fuel pressure damper) At first it work just as intended and started right up, the fuel pressure stayed high as it was parked. Then I went to start it about the 3rd time, and it started right up, but then it started stumbling bad and wouldn't start. I immediately suspected engine flooding, and removed all of the spark plugs and cranked the engine. Only 1 plug was wet, and no fuel came out of the holes. Ok, so it should be good. .....put the plugs back in and tried to crank it. It locked up! I put a ratchet on the crankshaft pulley and tried rotating it, locked in fwd direction, moves freely in the other. Checked the oil and it had a gallon of fuel inside the sump! So I drained the oil, put some fresh stuff in and tried to crank it again. (Stupid move, I know). The vacuum hose came off of the pressure regulator and shot right at the ignition coil, flames grew fast as I ran inside the garage to grab the fire extinguisher. Luckily, I got the fire out fast and only burned a few connectors. I'm rebuilding the engine now and reparing the fire damage. The manifold was full of fuel and it was being sucked down the breather hose and all going into cylinder #1. I couldn't see what was happening on the outside of the engine. You have to be careful when the ignition system is hot and you have fuel problems. Has anyone else tried installing an inline check valve? I think the higher pressure just imploded the fuel pressure damper which is not designed to handle that. So I guess I should've added a high quality fuel pressure regulator with return.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
i have used one of those inline check valves on mid 80s bmws with no ill effects. and they also have dampers on the fuel rail.

that is crazy what happened to your truck. thats a bummer

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals