• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front end Vibration Sovled

jburden78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, I've been reading posts and asking around for a while now about why there is sometimes a very noticeable vibration in the front end of my truck. It seemed like everyone I mentioned it to had a different solution. As it turns out, it was the hub assembly that I replaced that fixed the vibration.
For months, if I was driving short distances, everything was fine, but if I was driving for 30-40 minutes or more, ...if I hit a small or large bump, it would cause the whole cab to vibrate. ...Sometimes it would go away if you hit another bump, but not always??? ...but other times you could hit a bump and nothing happened! It was a little unpredictable at times.
From my own thoughts, and what people told me, it ranged from faulty cv joint, inner tie rod end, seized front axle, to worn sway bar bushings! I'm not saying none of these things if worn out wouldn't cause vibration, but it was a very time consuming process to get to the bottom of this.
So the purpose of this post is not to look for answers but to provide a possible solution for someone who may be trying to solve a similar mystery that I encountered.
Thanks for reading 8)

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Why did you not check on the hub in the first place? A bad wheel bearing causes this issue as well. If you replace one you need to replace both of them, Bro. Did you check the wheel bearings and if they looked fine...did you clean and repack them? Lots of issues cause vibrations. Mostly worn parts or a badly broken part. Ball joints are a major cause of problems and the steering will reflect that. Bumps and dips as well cause issues with worn shocks or coil springs (on certain suspensions with coil springs).

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Mine was solved by getting a new tire after popping mine. It wasn't balanced on wheel right so at 60+ it would shake violently. Hub assembly being damaged is dangerous. I almost lost it and would have badly damaged my front end I'd it didn't break on a slow road... All cause I slid on ice sideways into a curb with driver side front wheel.

jburden78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I had already replaced both upper and lower ball joints, tires and outter tie rod ends previously, as well as the shocks and leafs. Visually, things looked fine, and I hadn't had this type of issue before, so it left me a little confused. I checked the obvious stuff, and I was surprised that it was the hub. ...I guess most others wouldn't be as surprised 8)
Anyway, problem solved. All is good now. Cheers :beer:

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why did you not check on the hub in the first place? A bad wheel bearing causes this issue as well. If you replace one you need to replace both of them, Bro. Did you check the wheel bearings and if they looked fine...did you clean and repack them?
:icon_idea:
He didn't clean or repack his wheel bearings because he has a 98+ 4x4 which uses wheel hub assemblies. Take the old one out, put the new one in.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ya btw, how much did your hub assembly run you? I had either cheapo for 150 or duralast one for 200 so I got duralast... It was in the middle price range and I haven't had a problem with duralast yet...

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_idea:
He didn't clean or repack his wheel bearings because he has a 98+ 4x4 which uses wheel hub assemblies. Take the old one out, put the new one in.
Hmmmm, the 98-02 Ford Ranger 4x4 has the 4W-ABS front hub wheel bearing assembly correct? I thought the bearings were replaceable. I could have sworn a buddy of mine replaced his last summer...maybe I misunderstood him.

:icon_confused::icon_confused:

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Probably did. It comes as one complete assembly. Maybe it was 2wd and there's a difference? Idk. But mine was the 4wd 4 wheel abs one.

jburden78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
@bilzy7 > yeah, mine is the 4x4 abs type.
I tried to get aftermarket, but it wasn't fitting properly, so I got mine from ford. It was around $250. ...not too bad

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably did. It comes as one complete assembly. Maybe it was 2wd and there's a difference? Idk. But mine was the 4wd 4 wheel abs one.
Yeah 2wd are still the cone/cup roller bearings like everything a tad newer than a covered wagon.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmmm, the 98-02 Ford Ranger 4x4 has the 4W-ABS front hub wheel bearing assembly correct? I thought the bearings were replaceable. I could have sworn a buddy of mine replaced his last summer...maybe I misunderstood him.

:icon_confused::icon_confused:
Nope, my 98 and 99 were both RABS. The only way to replace the hub assembly is to take out the 3 bolts holding it on (and some other stuff in the way) and put a new one in. Basically, they aren't serviceable.

Blizy, OEM is Timken so that's what I went with when I did mine.

EDIT: Some are 4WABS, some are RABS.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Tanks for keeping us updated.

vetterdog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is an old thread, but I recently got my '99 3.0 4x4 and am having the same exact issue. I have to ask: were there any symptoms of the hub assembly being bad? Mine has zero play in it, and spins quietly when lifted up. I have replaced the sway bar stabilizers (because they were cheap and easy to do) and the front shocks. Thanks for any info!
-Dave

AND..how do I check the hub assembly, other than the usual wheel bearing checks as above??

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals