• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

front diff torque arm mount fabrication

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's a '00 AWD 5.0 going into a '01 2wd ext cab edge. The edge doesn't have the front differential rear mount (torque arm mount) and I need to get it welded on. Can I just bolt up the front diff with the two existing mounts, drive it to the shop to weld on the third mount (without the front driveshaft attached) and then just swap the rest of the front drivetrain over?

I am thinking since it is the edge model, all I'd have to swap is the front diff, the knuckles and then the CV axles.. right?

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So many voyeurs out there but no speakers.. I suppose I'll throw up some pics to illustrate.

**Note**
These are not my pics. These are pics from various threads I have been reading and off hand I do not know who originally posted them. On that note, BIG THANKS!!

front diff in

front diff out

You can see where the rear mount for the front diff is here in the pic above and the rear torque arm in the pic below.

front diff

You can see what I am talking about by comparing the pics of the front diff placement. I want to have the front and rear drivetrain stuff installed before I before I put the 5.0 and 4r70w in.

Can anyone confirm that I can just attach the front diff "without" CV axles and knuckles on my 3.0?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not familiar with this style front but.... if the driveshaft isn't hooked up then there isn't any torque being applied from that end, and same if you don't install the axles. However I'm not sure about how that would affect the knuckles/bearings/etc. I just pulled the axles on a fwd neon and in the book it said to use a bolt of the proper dimension in place of the axle. I couldn't see where that would do anything on that car, maybe the same can be done to your truck. Is there anything said about this in the manual?
Good luck,

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals