• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Stereo Blue Backlit

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 97 Ranger xlt and it came with the standard with the am/fm Cassette player. I would like to replace it with a qualtiy ford stereo to keep it looking stock. My problem is that the truck has the blue dash lights, not the green that it seems most came with. I would like to replace it with a blue lit CD( cd/tape, 6 disc, the mach stereo from a newer ranger) but have been unable to find one that notes it is blue. is there a cod on the player that would indicate the backlit color and where would be a good place to look, i have tried craigslist and ebay but don't want to buy unless i am certain. and also would all the newer stereos fit? i can change the wiring harness but would like it to just slide in and look stock, thanks for any help

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing that's gonna fit the dash. If you keep the blue dash then you have to get an aftermarket stereo.

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would hate to have to go green but if i have to i would, would a green 6 disc fit if i had one? i know some came with the sub in the suvs' would this work with teh normal 4 speakers, i don't know a whole lot about the electrical behind audio

Snowboarder7710

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i would hate to have to go green but if i have to i would, would a green 6 disc fit if i had one? i know some came with the sub in the suvs' would this work with teh normal 4 speakers, i don't know a whole lot about the electrical behind audio
yes you can use one that was made to run a factory sub. that is a separate plug on the radio. but you would need a harness to convert your 97 plug (which most likely is 2 flat plugs that are black and grey) to a single plug that will fit the 98 and up radios.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
As for the dash lights someone probably replaced them at one point in time with LED's or blue 194 incandecents. And I do not believe any Stock ford radio came with Blue lights... come to think of it I haven't seen one automaker thats made anything besides green, yellow or red dash/stereo lights...

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As for the dash lights someone probably replaced them at one point in time with LED's or blue 194 incandecents. And I do not believe any Stock ford radio came with Blue lights... come to think of it I haven't seen one automaker thats made anything besides green, yellow or red dash/stereo lights...
GM uses blue on several of their stuff. The new Malibus for one.

Ford used a blue-green on some stuff in the mid 90's, including Explorers, and they switched at 98, but I forget which way (I think they went green-green in 98, from blue-green). You might check Gen 2 Explorers from 95-97.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah but thats new stuff. I have yet to see anything pre 00' that was not green or amber. and never seen the explorer radios like that.

Plus he wants the 6 CD option... which came in the newer rangers, the old ones had seperate changers.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 97 Ranger xlt and it came with the standard with the am/fm Cassette player. I would like to replace it with a qualtiy ford stereo to keep it looking stock. My problem is that the truck has the blue dash lights, not the green that it seems most came with. I would like to replace it with a blue lit CD( cd/tape, 6 disc, the mach stereo from a newer ranger) but have been unable to find one that notes it is blue. is there a cod on the player that would indicate the backlit color and where would be a good place to look, i have tried craigslist and ebay but don't want to buy unless i am certain. and also would all the newer stereos fit? i can change the wiring harness but would like it to just slide in and look stock, thanks for any help
hey find one out of a 2000 or newer they are all blue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
find a 2000 or newer ranger they all use blue i had a 2001 ranger edge it had 6disc and had blue back light

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hmm... that odd? Maybe its just the 6 CD players? Cause out of all the newer fords and rangers and all the ones my friends owned they were all green. the 6 cd in my freinds 04 mustang had green

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Old mans Silverado has blue everything.

One of the reasons why I got my JVC head unit was because of the 30,000 possible color choices. :D

If you could find a way to crack open the stock radio and replace the lights, that would be impressive. I've never seen that done.

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for all the help guys, i took some pics of the blue-ish display to maybe avoid some confusion but haven't figured out how to load them in. they are stored on my computer now. It is a stock radio and dash, have seen this color and have seen stock replacement ones for sale with the blue display, blue seems to be more common in the rangers and explorers though.

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
well tell you what i have a stock 96 ranger radio and i don't need it anymore ... i will take it apart see if it can be done and i will post up pics if it can be done...

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
u can open the radio and replace the leds for blue ones.

the ranger tremor had a pioneer mp3 unit with silver face and blue ligths as an option, it also had a 10" sub

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals