• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford OEM (Powercode) Remote Start - Manual Trans Clutch Position Switch Workaround?

Jim_Philly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 L2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi All,

I purchased a Powercode Gen-2 ("Ford Genuine" 7L5Z-19G364-AA) remote start with the correct wiring harness for my 2007 Ford Ranger (4.0L FX4) with 5-speed manual transmission. I've tracked down the installation manual and wiring diagram and I am mostly good to go.

The OEM remote start kits are not intended for use with manual transmission vehicles. The first diagram below indicates that when the clutch is depressed, the CPP BT (clutch pedal position bottom-of-travel) and CPP TT (top-of-travel) inputs to the PCM connections to ground are broken. The second image below indicates that the CPP BT input is the one used for start interlock.

I am thinking of inserting a normally-closed relay between the CPP switch and the ground connection. When the relay is not energized, it won't make any difference as the ground connection will be maintained. When the relay is energized, it will break the ground connection, simulating the clutch pedal being depressed (from the perspective of the CPP BT input on the PCM). Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I could use as a relay activation input? Ideally it would be an input that is only energized when the remote start is activated. I was thinking of using the dome light voltage, then I could hit the unlock button on my factory remote keyless entry remote, which would turn the dome light on, and that would enable my relay and allow me to remote start. But because there are other times the dome light could be on while the car is running or in motion, I'm hoping there's another good option.

I could just use a manual toggle switch, of course, but I don't want to rely on my memory to flip the switch when I exit/enter the vehicle. I am not concerned about leaving the truck in neutral -- my driveway is flat and I leave it in neutral when parked regularly, and my home is the only place I'll use the remote start.

cpp.JPG

CPP2.JPG

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
If the remote starter does not have an "active while remote starting" accessory output, that's going to be tough. 2007 models are well past my "best by" date; I have no idea what the truck wiring is, how the truck's starting and ignition are setup to begin with, and what OEM security is present, if any, in the truck.

Does this remote starter unit have its own remotes, or does it piggyback onto the existing remotes?

And what is it exactly are you having to "work around"? It sounds like the truck (computer?) has see the clutch pressed before it will allow starting.

Jim_Philly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 L2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This remote start has a dedicated remote, as well as a PATS/immobilizer bypass module. The PCM looks for the clutch pedal position switch to break the ground connection, indicating that the clutch is depressed - that is what I need to work around since the remote start unit does not have a configuration for manual transmissions. I am thinking I need to connect a normally closed relay coil input to a "hot on start" 12V connection somewhere. One that will give me 12V regardless of the clutch position when starting is attempted. The question is, if the PCM sees the clutch input a fraction of a second AFTER the start attempt, will it allow the truck to start? Guess we'll see.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The question is, if the PCM sees the clutch input a fraction of a second AFTER the start attempt, will it allow the truck to start? Guess we'll see.
I hope that that works. Usually the remote starter will "look" at its "safety circuits" before starting the process of starting the engine. If that doesn't work, does the remote start unit have any discreet outputs, such as a light flash for confirmation of signal received?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals