• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford 390

dgarner08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i know this subject has came up before(i searched) but no real answers were given. so my question is would a 390 be a good swap choice for a 2wd ranger i know they are heavy but can you make good hp and torque with it...also would a dual sump oil pan be required to make it work...and how would you correct the steering geometry due to the weight ...sorry for all the questions. i'm just trying to educate myself a little:icon_thumby:

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
You will have to also do some work on your frame to handle all the torque it puts out. The stock frame just won't cut it.

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is the donor motor coming out of a car or truck?

dgarner08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
truck ...i think it was a 1968

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Quick answer is no, would not make a good swap choice. You could do it with a lot of custom fabrication. I measured my FE block one time and with out the heads on, it was still wider than a 302 with the heads on it. A 390 is a tight fit in an old Mustang or Fairlane, tube headers are a bitch to work around.
Dave

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The un-modified 390 is a over-weight slug. It was not a popular engine for swaps. Even modified, it's performance was not that great. There are much better engine choices available.:)shady

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 391 came in the medium/heavy duty trucks, I forgot about them as well as the rest of the world. When you say 391, think of a bus motor. The FE's are expensive to build but lot's of aftermarket support. World Products and Dart both have ready to drop in 302's stroked out to 372 cubes, dyno run, just add headers and front dress. Lost my spec/price sheet on them but still a lot better swap motor.
Dave

dgarner08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
wow i haven't ever heard of a 391 but I'm pretty sure it is a 390....the only reason i have ben asking about is the simple fact that it is free to me. im just trying to weigh out my options. i also have a 302 and a 351c but i just cant make a decision the 351c would be a good swap candidate it is complete and still in the car with the transmission (1973 torino)
thanks for all the information...anything else?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One of the best books on the FE/FT motors is one by Steve Christ. All the info you would want. With these motors even the casting number is not good enough to tell you motor size, it could be a 352, a 390 or 428.
Dave

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One of the best books on the FE/FT motors is one by Steve Christ. All the info you would want. With these motors even the casting number is not good enough to tell you motor size, it could be a 352, a 390 or 428.
Dave
In the winter 2008 issue of "Engine Masters" magazine, there was an article on a FE 427 side oiler. There was also a great article on the 400M Cleveland which produced some impressive low end numbers.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 390 is not a torque monster. It's a slug. If you want a heavy motor, get a 460. The 390 is not worth thinking about. If you got it in there you'll be doing a lot of bragging and a lot of excuse making. You get a 460 in there and you'll have no need for either.

The things that made a 391 different were things that made it able to survive in a hard environment. It was less powerful than a 390, but more durable. Full skirt pistons (more friction) tiny valves and ports (more airspeed at truck rpms but less power--these were governed to 3600rpm) forged cranked (you need the flywheel to balance it, and that is probablt 40# or more so it doesn't stall when you let it up in a loaded dumptruck, meaning less acceleration if it;s installed in a light vehicle). There are other differences and I can't remember them because I am confusing them with the Dodge truck engine I recently go rid of. But I think there are some collant passages added so it's possible the intake manifolds are different. And the exhaust manifolds are certainly different.

They are based on the same engine, but there are not a lot of similarities when it comes to exchanging parts. And for what it's worth, there was an FT called the 389 as well, and it was also a 390 based motor.

I used to have an LN700 with a 361FT so I've been down this road and probably still have the serivce manuals and that Steve Christ book if my wife hasn't donated them to the public library.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
A 390, or any Ford FE-series engine, is big and heavy. Not worth the effort to put one in a Ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals