• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Foglamp problems!

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I cheaped out and bought some aftermarket fogs to replace my factory ones that were rusted to hell. I wired these new fogs into the factory harness by cutting the pigtails off the factory llights and soldering them together with the new fogs. The fogs worked fine for a few minutes then I shut them off to mover the truck so i could focus them. Now they do nothing and the button that turns the fogs on does nothing, no light on the button. The fuse is good and I replaced the relay and have nothing. The bulbs in the lights look fine. The lamps I bought are 55 watt. I believe I read that the factory foglamps are also 55 watts. What is the deal here? What did I do wrong....

olranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
check to see if the switch is good, if so check to make sure the wire is good going to the switch with a continuity check.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
get a volt meter out n check at the light for power.

ChargerOnDavins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
two 2003, 1 200
Make / Model
3 Ford & 1 Dodg
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah you'll need a volt meter, get a cheap one at autozone or walmart for stuff like this. Replace the fuse anyway, just had a blown fuse that didn't look blown for my parking/running lights and tail lights.

olranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes check the fuse, replace it anyway, the damnest thing happened to me at work. i was working on a forklift and the lights would not work. i check the fuses and they all checked good, but i had no power at the lights. even thought the fuse may light a test light, it doesnt mean the fuse is good. Talk about wipping my ass

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I replaced the fuse, and it was good in the first place anyway. The passenger headlight and the fogs are on the same fuse. Im probably just going to end up wiring them the trashy way with them connected to the battery. I just wanted a clean install.:annoyed:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Even though you have two wires coming from the fog lights themselves, one is more than likely still grounded to the housing/chassis inside. Did you check your polarity coming off of the factory wiring? IIRC correctly, both wires are black on mine (might be thinking of my Mustang though). The first thought I have is you may be going straight to ground through the light internally when it's powered up. It technically should blow a fuse; but I've seen stranger things happen. Just a thought.

Did you check for 12 volts at the harness? You could try my theory by unbolting both of them and see if they turn on without touching the brackets.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Did you fix this?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals