• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Foam-filled tires?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So my big lawn tractor is a Craftsman GT (GT was supposed to stand for Garden tractor, the lawn tractors rated for use with a sleeve hitch for pulling a single bottom plow or the like). I bought a set of AG tires for it years ago. Put 5-6 gallons of RV antifreeze in each back tire and bolted 55# wheel weights on each side. It’s a tank. It will drag an RBV along and I’ve used that to move dead vehicles around some. It will go anywhere, but it definitely digs in when the ground is soft. I have to be careful about how dry the yard is. It’s very stable on sloped ground though, that low weight keeps it planted. I really need to fill the front tires. I’ve also noticed that the back tires look nice and black with no dry rot despite years in the weather, which makes me wonder if the RV antifreeze is doing that.
This one is just a 42" front engine rider. Uses 18x9.5-8 tires. I could get an ag tire in that size, but I don't think I'm going to go that far with it. Was thinking about an ATV tire, but even that is more agressive than I likely need. Just after something better than the nearly smooth turf saver tires that came on it. I'll probably go with something like knobby golf cart tire. Not agressive, but more bite than what is there. something like these

I've wondered if filling the tires could help combat dry rot. Difficult to tell if it is that or differentr rubber compunds. Either way I just need this thing to cut my gras for a few more years and I'llget a ZTR. At this time I'll relegate this thing to woods mower status, cutting between the rows of pines in the yard and dragging a yard cart if I ever get one.

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
I love my old Craftsman GT, it's a beast and parts are simple... the 3 speed high/low transmission is fantastic... sure stuff gives up but it's from like '94 so I don't blame the thing :)

For tubed stuff I've been tempted to just fill with water in my location... for the small tubes you get what you pay for though...
Mine is the “automatic hydrostatic” which I have mixed feelings about. I switched from a 50” deck to a 54” awhile back. Dad has a 3 speed high/low one sitting around that he’s been talking of getting rid of. I was trying to figure an excuse to get it from him but now that I have my farm tractor I’m not really sure I need it.

I did a bunch of research years ago. Water and calcium were basically considered poor ideas, especially calcium/water mix. It’s one of the heaviest mixtures, but it will rot rims. Same with water, just not as intense. If I remember right, washer fluid and RV antifreeze weigh about the same, but the RV antifreeze is completely non-toxic. Living by a creek and all, I liked the idea of non-toxic. It does get slushy in the winter, but it never really fully freezes.

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
This one is just a 42" front engine rider. Uses 18x9.5-8 tires. I could get an ag tire in that size, but I don't think I'm going to go that far with it. Was thinking about an ATV tire, but even that is more agressive than I likely need. Just after something better than the nearly smooth turf saver tires that came on it. I'll probably go with something like knobby golf cart tire. Not agressive, but more bite than what is there. something like these

I've wondered if filling the tires could help combat dry rot. Difficult to tell if it is that or differentr rubber compunds. Either way I just need this thing to cut my gras for a few more years and I'llget a ZTR. At this time I'll relegate this thing to woods mower status, cutting between the rows of pines in the yard and dragging a yard cart if I ever get one.
I put ATV back tires on dad’s one lawn tractor. He has a Craftsman DLT-2000 with a 48” deck and foot pedal hydrostatic. I put a couple gallons of RV antifreeze in his back tires and he’s pretty happy with it. He’s currently fixing up another identical one for a spare. That one currently has turf tires. We’ll see how long it stays like that, it might get different tires.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I put ag tires on my wheel horse & filled them with windshield fluid, heavy and works well. It has a rear tiller & front hitch on it. 3 + 2 speed gear drive. Awesome little garden tractor. Put skinny wheelbarrow tires up front, acts like power steering!

IMG_3070.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals