• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Firing order or timing?

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think my firing order might be messed up or the distributor flipped on 180. How can I tell if its off, I don't have access to my bronco ii to compare the caps and see whats up, I checked in the tech library and set up my wires according to that, its turning over better but still not firing and when i stop cranking it I can hear some back fires in the exhaust? Any one got a trick for setting up the wires on the cap without knowing the original wires orientation???

1986 ford ranger auto 4x4 thanks for any help.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a #1 on your cap? If not, then orientate the wires based on how they appear on a diagram. Find TDC on the compression stroke and test drop the dist in a couple of times and mark where the rotor is going to end up when you drop it in. Get it as close to the #1 post as you can once it's dropped in and you should be good. Easy to get it 180 out, 2 revolutions of the crank = 1 revolution of the cam, so you need to make sure you're finding TDC on the compression stroke.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals