• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer swap

Rangerdan2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90, 93, 96, 99,
Make / Model
Fords and a Tri
Engine Size
all
Transmission
Manual
I have searched and searches and I am still not sure what engine mounts to use. I have an 01 X-cab Ranger and a 97 explorer. Do I use L@L, vert mounts, stock sploder mounts or custom fabricated ones?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
4x4 98+/edge 2wd(torsion bars) = explorer 95-01 v8 mounts bolt in
2wd 98+ (coil sprung) = custom

Rangerdan2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90, 93, 96, 99,
Make / Model
Fords and a Tri
Engine Size
all
Transmission
Manual
Sorry it is an 01 xcab 2wd, so will I have to mke the mounts? If so is there a template or plans I can go off of, or is it to each his own?
Thanks Dan.

RangerPliskin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 wants to be 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Mounts

The coil spring motor mount issue has been discussed at great length, but I still get confused about all the different options, too. I just finished installing a 5.0 from a '99 Explorer into a '98 Ranger with coil springs...this is what I did.

I bought two motor mounts from Rockauto...about $27 each. Anchor Part #2853 (front right). Not sure, but I think they discontinued the front left because they are basically the same as the front right. The passenger side mount dropped right in, the driver side I had to drill a hole for the index pin then it fit right in.

You've read about Brian's adapter plates, which you may be able to get a drawing of but you'll probably need to get them fabricated. Apparently a very good design, but I decided to make my own. Rather than welding an offset plate, I just used a thicker piece of material on the driver's side...some may argue that this leaves the engine too high, but my oil pan is only 3/8" off of the steering rack and I didn't feel comfortable dropping it any more.

I hoisted the motor into place, took measurements and made cardboard mockup plates to verify fit. Then I cut metal. Maybe not perfect, but I think it will fly.

Rangerdan2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90, 93, 96, 99,
Make / Model
Fords and a Tri
Engine Size
all
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know where I can find the template for the mounts? I have heard there is a template but cannot find it.
Thanks
Dan

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Brian B. came up with the motor mounts for the later coil spring suspension, he's a Ford engineer. He requests $20 to be payed to his PayPal account for reasons not for his personal gain. Shoot me a PM and I can connect you with him and the plans.
Dave

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
RangerPliskin, what are those mounts originally for? (Anchor Part #2853)
Ranger 4.0? Just curious, they're may be a later model swap in my future.

EDIT:
Did my own search, mount is 4.0 ranger, maybe others, I didn't look too hard.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals