• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer 4.0 w/ 5sp swap to 89 Ranger

numberkruncher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looking at putting a 4.0 and 5 speed manual from a '99 explorer into a '89 Ranger that currently has a 2.9 with blown A4LD. Questions-

1. Is the 4.0 as prone to cracked heads as the 2.9?
2. Is the wiring harness in the '89 ranger compatible or will the whole thing have to be rewired?
3. Is it ok to keep the ranger rear end or will we need to swap that also?
4. Any other known booby traps with the proccess?

MikeWild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
As with any engine, keep it cool and you should be ok.

you'll need the entire wiring harness & computer from the donor vehicle as well as the vacuum lines and such. It's best to park the tucks side by side and when it comes time to swap out the harness, be very methodical in where every connection goes.

The rear end can remain, but may be a good time to upgrade to an 8.8

If you follow everything correctly, there should be no booby traps.

Good luck on the swap, I just did mine last weekend

numberkruncher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Two more questions-

1. Is the distance from the Engine/Transmission spit to the engine mounts the same on the '99 4.0L as it is on the '89 2.9L, or will engine support modifications be required?

2. Would the 5 SP transmission in the '99 be a M5OD R1 or a M5OD R2?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
These kind of swaps make me cring.

Trust me, it can be done, but it'll be a long process and take lots of time. You don't just need the engine, and tranny. You need ALL the wiring from the engine compartment, and splicing the engine compartment harness to your existing cab harness should be fun....maybe self-torturous. You'll also need to find a way to adapt the EVAP system to your current fuel system. Otherwise the computer will be very unhappy. Then you have to deal with all the wiring from the newer donor being from an engine compartment with a different layout. You may be able to defeat this by using the overflow tank, etc, form the donor.

By all means, I'm trying to discourage such a swap, but a 4.0/M5OD combo from a 90-92 Ranger or 91/92' Explorer would be the easiest swap to consider. A 93-94 Ranger or Explorer would be a little harder, but just as equally simplified.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals