• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ever see this turbo set up?

Alex L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ya ur lookin at about a solid weekend of wiring to get everything working right....this is why ill never swap the 2.3 turbo into anything obd2 again....
(sorry to derail into an ECU discussion)
I have an 84 mustang. i think ive patched at least 2 miles worth of wire here and there on it. wiring issues do not intimidate me. :)

yea, thats the rub. if/when my transplant occurs, doubt ill be using the LA3, and most likely will jump to mega squirt to retain the DIS (broken dizzy sprocket took out my SVO's aux shaft last year). now, i read that the DIS control is moved into the ECU post 95. can this be retrofited to the external version that odb1 eec units use? are there any other functions that the ECU handles in odb2 that are not related to operation of the engine? or, would it be a better option to reflash (if its even possible) the stock ecu to a more turbo frendly tune?

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ya ur lookin at about a solid weekend of wiring to get everything working right....this is why ill never swap the 2.3 turbo into anything obd2 again....
Yeah, the OBD-II swap of the 5.0 into my '94 Ranger was a biatch too, but it runs so much better than any other swap I've seen I don't regret it one bit. The flash tuning technology and whatnot is far superior to what's available to the EEC-IV setups.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
instead of worry about the wiring of swapping it into the 96, why not use an 2.3 OBD2 computer and MAF system and swap the turbo internals into a 95+ block and use a 95+ head? Then you can keep the factory OBD2 and just use one of the multitudes of tuners out there to reprogram the factory computer and tune it to run how you want? It is already a MAF system and the OBD2 computer is very advanced. With something like an SCT tuner you can reprogram any of the variables you could with megasquirt.

Doing it this way you wouldn't have to do any wireing except for an external wideband sensor. the turbo exhaust manifold (or any exhaust manifold for the 2.3) will bolt right up to the 95+ head and the turbo internals from your shortblock will bolt right into the lower half of the 95+ block. The only thing you will need to do is add an oil drainback into the oil pan which isn't very difficult.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals